New kid on the block (two-legged)...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by stefski, Oct 24, 2006.

1. stefski

stefski New Member

I was told about this forum when I picked up my new ND buck last Wednesday over in Wisconsin. Once I'd recovered from driving 500 miles (returning through snow/sleet/rain and inky darkness), I found you and signed up. It's taken a while for me to be "activated" but I've read through some of the threads in the meantime. A lot of helpful information here already!

I've gone about this whole business backwards, first falling in love with a rare livestock guardian breed, raising two litters in suburbia, finally moving to the country and acquiring two Saanens (buck and wether - for free) just to see if my suburban-raised LGDs knew what to do around livestock.

They did. *And* what to do around coyotes, etc.

I got my first small goats last year (dairy mutts) and went through my first kidding this spring. (One doe lost all three preemies, another lost two out of three - so not a piece of cake. One first freshener kidded a bit early with no warning out in one of the field shelters - with the assistance of one of the dogs! Maybe I should leave them *all* out with him...)

I kept the three surviving doelings and bought three more doelings this summer. One is purebred ND, one is 3/4 ND-1/4 Alpine, and the other is 1/2 ND-1/2 Alpine. I'm planning to breed half my does in December and the other half in June, so that I'll have milk all year.

I'd like to add a comment to a thread from the beginning of the month about goats not drinking water. Early last winter, I noticed orange spots in the snow in the field where my pregnant does were spending their days. I figured out that this was urine - and not a good thing.

My local vets are not particularly knowledgeable about goats and could only suggest antibiotics because *somebody* had a bladder infection. I narrowed it down to one primary suspect and was preparing to get meds.

And then I figured out that the silly goats weren't drinking water, or at least not enough. I can't remember how it came about, but one day I offered them water in a stainless steel bucket instead of in the heated plastic buckets. Sluuuurrrrp! They sucked it down! Hmmm. A clue. I started using stainless steel buckets as "liners" inside the heated plastic buckets (leaving a small amount of water in the bottom of the plastic buckets to allow for good heat transference). Voila! No more orange pee!! I guess they disliked the taste of plastic...

So, all from me for now (at last, eh?!). Off to clean out the small barn and string lights along the "alley" so I can navigate in the dark hours... Oh, and check on my pregnant, close-to-kidding doe...

2. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

First off, Welcome!! Glad you are here! I think it is neat that you discovered your goats' preference for a steel bucket. That's good goat husbandry! Some apple cider vinegar might encourage more drinking as well.

Did your post say 3 does kidded early last spring? That deserves some looking into... What minerals are you offering? Maybe there's a deficiency....

I have a few NDs. They're so cute! I have a back wether with blue, blue eyes. He's nearing 5 months.

Jennifer

3. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Like Jennifer said welcome aboard. I am sure you will find this site a great site. Everyone here is very helpful.
    Sounds like you are well on your way to have a great goat farm. I have a friend that has goat that will not drink out of any water buckets unless they are white. I guess goats are really pretty smart, they know what they like and don't like. That friend even tried a yello bucket, NOPE would not use it.
    Welcome and we would love to see pictures of your goats.

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Judy! Made it home, eh? How's Tex/Kingsley doing?

Glad you found the forum, sorry, forgot to email you the link, should have reminded me! There is a pet forum on here too to chat about your Tibetans.

See ya around! Jenny