new kid not acting right

Discussion in 'Goats' started by waygr00vy, Aug 7, 2006.

1. waygr00vy

waygr00vy Sunny Daze Farm

I just got a new nigerian buckling yesterday, he is about 6 weeks old. I noticed he seems very uncoordinated when he walks, and has a hard time keeping focused. He also has a hard time keeping his head up for a long period of time (it will kind of sway side to side), and a hard time trying to lay down. He seems as if he is drunk. He still has quite an appetite and otherwise seems ok. Poop is normal too. I didn't notice this so much last night but definitely this morning and he is still this way tonight. I did worm him with ivermectin last night, but I don't think that would cause these symptoms. I saw the parents and his sibling and everyone seemed healthy. I plan on calling the breeder if this doesn't clear up but thought I would check on here first for advice as to what it may be. Could it be CAE? I don't have any experience with it but it almost sounds like some of the symptoms. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!

2. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Are you bottlefeeding him? I would call the breeder. Do you have him with any other goats or is he a lone goat? He may just be sad and stressed from moving to new home but I would watch him. Moving them stresses them alot. I dont like to buy goats in ones or sell them either. I rather like them to have a buddy as it is less stressful for them to have a familer face in such a strange new home.

3. waygr00vy

I am bottle feeding him and he is eating great. I put him in a stall with one of my younger goats so he wouldn't be alone, but I brought him inside last night so I could keep an eye on him. He seems a little better this morning, so I am going to just watch him closely for right now.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

i would definately call the breeder. did this kid come from cae negative herd?

5. xoxoGOATSxoxo

xoxoGOATSxoxo when in doubt, mumble.

Isn't there somthing called floppy kid/lamb/calf syndrome? I think it's nutritional, and it might be in only very young stock. Not sure...

6. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I would not wait to call the breeder. Drunken/uncoordinated behavior may be connected with polio or possibly white muscle. Not at all to say it's that, just need to get on it. You paid for a healthy goat and with these symptoms showing up immediately you need to prove the illness originated from the seller's farm. This is why I don't sell kids until they are at least eight weeks. Kids stress out SO easily when they're yong and are sensitive to any changes and disease. Even if the kid shows improvement, still call the breeder asap. If nothing else, he/she might have some insight. Hope it's just temporary.

7. waygr00vy

I spoke to the breeder and she believes it might be a reaction to the ivermectin since he was so young. He is doing much better than he was yesterday already. I usually use safeguard for the young ones, but used ivermectin paste not thinking anything of it. I guess his symptoms are the same as what an overdose to ivermectin would be, and although he didn't get alot, we think he may have a bit of an allergic reaction. She said to let her know if he doesn't get better soon. I have purchased other goats from her before and never had a problem, so hopefully thats all this is. He seemed ok when I first brought him home, but the behavior started the morning after he was wormed. Well, keeping my fingers crossed thats all it is...he is such a nice little buckling.

8. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I don't know anything about goats, but in people neurological symptoms usually warrant a doc visit if you don't already know what they are (ie: MS).

I just come to the goat board to look at the pictures, because they're all just so danged cute. Maybe because I'm ignorant, my instinct for this would have been to call a vet, just because I know in humans those kinds of symptoms can be bad news. I mean, for all I know there could be 20 common goat illnesses that cause 'drunken goat syndrome' for a few days.

PS: do goats get tick paralysis?

9. susanne

a kid under 3 month of age should not get ivermectin because the blood brain barier does not function very well in this young age and this is why you can see the neurological problems.
    hoping he is on recovery for you.

10. waygr00vy

Well, I learned that the hard way. I know several people that use it on goats of all ages, but I certainly won't again. He is doing much better now, just about back to 100%. Suburbanite, had he not been eating, pooping, and otherwise totally normal, I would have definitely called the vet right away. I kept him in, gave him Probios and electrolytes and kept a close watch. Had he not been improving I would have had the vet out today. After you have had livestock and animals for a while, you begin to learn when it is an emergency and when to wait just a bit. I tried to research everything I could on the net, and I felt it could have been the ivermectin. Luckily he is ok now. Thanks for everyones advice.

11. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he's better. That teaches me to read more thoroughly. I skimmed your post and didn't catch the Ivermec. Yes, that could well be the culprit.

12. susanne

i did the same. isn't it terible how valuable info get lost because of it?

13. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

took my goats and pbps to be wormed and the vet used ivermectin, i thought my piglets were dying and something very similar was wrong with my goat kids, only along with the drunk like symptoms my piggys wouldnt eat, but one of my goat kids just seemed drunk but was eating,and out of a litter of 8 only 2 piggys seemed to be affected, i called my vet in a panic and he laughed and reasured me that my pigs wouldnt die and my goats would be fine, typically 1 out of every 20 animals even dogs,cats, and horses canhave this reaction, the main thing he told us is to get as much fluid down them as possible, because the drunk feeling sometimes makes them not want to drink and they can dehydrate, call your vet, my pigs didnt get water in time and one of them and one of my goats have permenant convulsive fits every few hours, ivermectin attacks the centeral nervouse system and in some animals does not take well and can cause permanent damage if their system is not regualarly flushed with water till all symptoms are gone. please watch the kid close and force lots of water, the med wont kill him, but dehydration will, and even if he doesnt dehydrate the med can leave him with permanent side affects if you dont push fluids, dont mean to sound pushy but seeing my litle piggy and my little doeling go through those fits is heart breaking.

14. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like you need a new vet for not warning you and giving you the information needed to prevent this unnecessary problem at the time he did the shots.

15. waygr00vy

Well, today he is back to normal. Bouncing around without a problem like a normal baby goat. I gave him some electrolytes yesterday to help him out and probios, and things seem back to normal. I definitley learned a lesson though about the ivermectin. I would have felt terrible had anything worse happened to the little guy!