New kid leg problem, and moms sharing kids...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Two things here.
    1.) I had twins born this morning, and the doeling has a messed up left hock. It's not broken, and doesn't seem out of joint. Either it's a tendon/ligament problem, or the bone ends aren't forming the joint properly. Instead of forming that lovely angle, her hock goes straight, and even slightly backwards(uhhh...which in this case means forward. It can bend with the bend pointing toward the head). If there are any suggestions on how to support that to give it a chance, I'm all ears. If not, she'll be joining the list of barbeque goats. Too bad she's the only girl.

2.) Now the other thing. These twins were born this morning. Another set of twins was born yesterday morning. The two mothers are twins themselves. They appear to want to share all the kids. I had Truly penned up yesterday with her kids, partly to make sure she took them, and partly to keep the other critters away. The sheep were still sticking their heads through the pen trying to help clean the kids! This morning, I released Truly before I noticed that Tish already had two kids on the ground. Truly wanted all four kids. Tish was willing to share, and cuddle Truly's, too!

I moved Tish into a pen with her kids, and Truly is hanging out right by the pen. The two does have all four kids right together on each side of the gate, and both does are talking to all four kids. :rolleyes:

I'm leaving the kids on the does, obviously, and will be milking, too. There's just me while hubby is gone, so I don't need much milk! Since I'll be checking them daily, is there any harm in them sharing? If they under-nurse one doe, I'll be milking her out, so she won't get mastitis from it. Any other problems with this?

:shrug: Goats never fail to come up with something new!
    Meg

2. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I've splinted bad legs in the past and had them develop OK. It's been awhile but if I remember I used Popsicle sticks and tape. Good luck. :cowboy:

3. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

We had one born this spring with a leg that looked to be crooked or something, but after a few days or maybe a week, it looks fine. We did nothing for it. Figured if it did not straighten on its own, she would go the way of the boys (butcher). However, we are very fortunate to have 7 doeilings this spring with our 7 bucklings.

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, I went back to the barn while my son was home for a few minutes, and decided to separate the girls and their respective kids while I had someone around to help if I needed it. (I've got a badly sprained ankle, so I'm not moving too well.) Tish and Truly are now in separate pens with their younguns.

The kid with the bad hock also appears to be not quite right somehow in the other leg, but I'm not sure if it is really wrong, or just an optical illusion caused by wobbly kid plus compensation for the other leg. I think I'm going to do the 'wait and see' thing. The kids are Boer/Alpine, so a popsicle stick wouldn't begin to span the joints to offer stabilization, and I don't have anything long enough that would be smooth enough. Plus, she's walking and getting around quite well. If she straightens up, she might make a milker for a small family. If not, she'll be a barbeque goat.

Tish does appear to be an ear-biter, though. I guess I'm going to have to pick up some bitters on the way home from work today, and dress everyone's ears with it!

Meg

5. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Don't bother to splint the leg. It will only take longer to correct itself. I had one last year (we named him pegleg and ended up keeping him as a wether) that we splinted. The leg developed sores on it from being wrapped up and him trying to bite off the wrapping. Anyway, we took it off and said he'd just go to the butcher if it didn't straighten out. Within a week after we took off the splint (it was on for at least 2 weeks), it was fine. Had the same thing happen this year. We did nothing to the leg. Gave the baby extra vit B and Nutridrench, but that's all. Again took about a week, and the leg was fine.

6. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

This year just about every kid born had a leg problem. They all cleared up with in a week. (I have it narrowed down to a mineral deficiency.)

If both moms are willing to look after all 4 kids and share them, I would let them. That way if one mom gets tired of the brood, she can get some quiet time on her own.

Last year the one doe quit feeding her kids after 2 weeks. Luckily her mother (the kids grandmother) was happy to take over and I didn't have to bottle feed.

Good luck with the leg. I'm sure it will be fine all on it's own.

7. dkdairygoats

dkdairygoats Well-Known Member

I had two kids born last year whose hocks bent backwards....they could barely walk with it. After about a week, their muscles got strong enough to support them and they straightened out fine. Make sure they are getting enough selenium as well. It depends on the area, but I supplement all my pregnant does and newborn kids.

8. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I've had kids born with exactly what you are describing. A back hock joint that seems to bend the wrong way - like a flamingo! Everything seems to just tighten up on its own. Never had any long term problems. I'm looking at mineral deficiency here too.

niki

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

How bout a BoSe shot for this kid?

10. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I had tripplets born this year, and the nanny only liked 2 of them. She would push the third away. I bottle raised for several days til one of my other does had a single. The doe with the single adopted the tripplet that I was bottle feeding. All tirned out well.