New kid has turned-up ear tips

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Key, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Key

Key Well-Known Member

One Boer kid born today has turned-up ears so the last inch of her ear tips fold completely over...I think I read somehwere to use duct tape and a popsicle stick to try to train the cartidgle. Any advice or experience on this? Thanks-

2. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Cut two pieces of stiff cardboard and sandwitch the ear between them. Just tape to tape it together and leave on for about 2 weeks. I have done this before and have good luck doing it to straighen ears! Good luck!

3. lijj

lijj Well-Known Member

one of my kids with floppy ears had a folded ear; I taped a piece of cardboard on it tightly--it only stayed on about 2 days but it worked.

4. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Thanks...that seems much easier and nicer to the kid (than popsicle stick with duct tape.)

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

double check that there is not tissue holding the ear flaps in the turned up position. Last year a friend told me to "pop" the cartilege if there was tissue connecting. I had two doe kids who just needed the ear held in place and one doe kid who actually had cartilege. The second the one doe was born, I just did a quick TUG and popped the tissue loose. The kid didn't make a noise. I got some scabbing, then hair grew in. This is a pretty typical situation with boers.