Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...sentenced-to-death_n_6183634.html?cps=gravity
Initially, I was going to blame Reuters for the misleading title to this story;
but seeing as how it's the Huff that is passing it on down the line, I'd have
to believe that they "fine-tuned" it to their own high standards, before passing
it on for the public's consumption. Since when did being "bludgeoned to death",
turn into a lynching? Is this the new dumbing down of America?

I could rant on this all day . . .thank you very much, Huff & Puff and blow your mind POST!
Those 'kids' who spent their time getting a so-called journalism degree; their parents should
demand that their respective universities, cough up the reimbursement of their tuition for
all those years wasted in teaching sensationalism instead of actual truth.

Words have meaning.
Where is the editor in charge.......where is the dang proofreader?!!!!

But the actual story is even more unsettling. When it first occurred,
I wondered what the actual outcome would be. Seems that the family
members that participated will be fined and sentenced to be executed;
although, since an actual execution there hasn't been one carried out in
years, it amounts to either life imprisonment.....or more likely, after the
immediate outrage has died down and after a few more years have gone
by and even more money has exchanged hands, there will then be an
appeal and a reversal of the original verdict and "justice" will have been served.

Reactions: Tricky Grama

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
It's true journalists use the wrong, and often inflammatory verbs and adjectives to describe a situation. However, I wonder in this case if the writer was even born before the last "lynching", and knows the difference. The race hustlers have been calling everything a lynching for years now, listening to them you'd think people were hanging from trees at every corner.

The one that aggravates me is the constant phrase "unarmed teen" when referring to the Micheal Brown shooting. The phrase connotes an innocent bystander being shot for no apparent reason. The only reason he was "unarmed" was because the cop won the fight for his gun.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Near as bad reporting as the biker that rode in to town and the circus was there . He saw a big lion grab a little girl ,while everyone just looked on in shock he punched the lion in the nose and grabbed the little girl :thumb:News reporter saw the kind act an ask for a interview ,which the guy agreed to . Reporter told the guy he would give him a real wright up . Guy told him he was an ex Marine and a Republican and rode off.

So the guy stops at a town a few days later an get himself a paper and there sure nuff on the fount page was his wright up ,it said

EX Marine with post distress disorder assaults African Immigrant and Steals His Lunch :buds:

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Yellow journalism and purple prose. Nothing new. You can find examples all the way back to ancient Roman literature, and in Egyptian hieroglyphics. This new crop is simply so enamored with the ploy, and their own cleverness, that they're convinced people will believe any spin they put on an issue. And some probably do. Just consider the statement that's normally, and falsely, attributed to P.T. Barnum. "There's a sucker born every minute."

I'm wonder though. Based on this ..."Her father, brother, cousin, and another relative were all sentenced to death and a $1,000 fine," will the fines be imposed posthumously?

·
Banned
132 Posts
There are whole government departments dedicated to the use ( or misuse ) of words in order to elicit an emotional response. George Orwell couldn't dream of the lengths that they go to to manipulate the public.

It's called propaganda and it comes from the government and is fed down through their media outlets. If you recall our national hero in exile, Edward Snowden, was a 'whistleblower' when his story first hit the mainstream media. But the government didnt like that term, so they let all their media outlets know that they wanted him labelled a "leaker", not a "whistleblower". And from that point on, no mainstream news outlet would ever dare refer to him as a whistleblower.

If Snowden's illuminations weren't enough to concern us, the media's perfectly coordinated efforts to relabel him should be.

·
Registered
835 Posts
If you are complaining about the use of the word "lynching", you might want to look up the historical and current legal definition. The killing in the article does seem to fit.

Any act of violence inflicted by a mob upon the body of another person which results in the death of the person shall constitute the crime of lynching in the first degree and shall be a felony.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are complaining about the use of the word "lynching",
you might want to look up the historical and current legal definition. The killing in the article does seem to fit.

Any act of violence inflicted by a mob upon the body of another person which results in the death
of the person shall constitute the crime of lynching in the first degree and shall be a felony.
is so twisted in the meaning of a word, that it no longer bares any
resemblance to what it once did.......then yeah, I'm complaining!!!

And regarding the historical and current legal definition; I couldn't help
but notice, that we only have your description of it without ANY references
on how you came by it. Convenient. Whereas, I went looking and found
nothing that indicates that lynching implies anything other than a hanging
carried out by a mob or vigilante action. Here's one right near the top:
lynch

3 ENTRIES FOUND:

1. lynch
  2. lynch law
  3. Judge Lynch

lynch

verb \ˈlinch\ : to kill (someone) illegally as punishment for a crime

Full Definition of LYNCH

transitive verb
: to put to death (as by hanging) by mob action without legal sanction
— lynch·er noun

See lynch defined for English-language learners »

See lynch defined for kids »

Examples of LYNCH

1. The accused killer was lynched by an angry mob.

Origin of LYNCH

lynch lawFirst Known Use: 1836

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I know that many poo-poo certain portions of the internet in regards to accuracy, etc,
but you might also check wikipedia's outstanding history on the subject word under discussion.

Not bad indeed for the common man.
If there were cause to include what you've described, I would imagine it'd be in there. It's not; or at least not that I could see.

I could argue further, that your definition doesn't exactly fit the description of what occurred with this particular woman.
She wasn't killed by a 'mob' per se, but by relatives and stoned to death by chunks of brick/concrete; not hung by the neck.

·
Registered
835 Posts

but you might also check wikipedia's outstanding history on the subject word under discussion.

Not bad indeed for the common man.
If there were cause to include what you've described, I would imagine it'd be in there. It's not; or at least not that I could see.
Yep, it's in Wikipedia

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching - right before the 'Contents' break.

"Today lynching is a felony in all states of the United States, defined by some codes of law as "any act of violence inflicted by a mob upon the body of another person which results in the death of the person", with a "mob" being defined as "the assemblage of two or more persons, without color or authority of law, for the premeditated purpose and with the premeditated intent of committing an act of violence upon the person of another". Lynching in the second degree is defined as "any act of violence inflicted by a mob upon the body of another person and from which death does not result".[10] To sustain a conviction for lynching, at least some evidence of premeditation must be produced, but "the common intent to do violence" may be formed before or during the assemblage.[11]"

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,915 Posts
Well if we are going to quibble over words, I would prefer the term "lynching" to "honor killing" as the murderers think they are doing.

In 2013, 869 cases of so-called "honor killings" were reported in the media, according to the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. The true figure is probably higher since many cases go unreported.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Well if we are going to quibble over words, I would prefer the term "lynching" to "honor killing" as the murderers think they are doing.

In 2013, 869 cases of so-called "honor killings" were reported in the media, according to the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. The true figure is probably higher since many cases go unreported.
Honor killings to find the meaning you must refer to Sharia Law and the Quran :sing::hammer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts