Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Lord willing I will be bringing home my new jersey heifer. Im toatally new to cows. What to I need to do to have on hand for her? I plan on putting her in the barn for a few days to tame her down and I know she will probably raise a big fuss because they will be pulling her off of her mom. What type of grain should I give her? Shes been on 10% horse pellets. What shots and or vet tests does she need? What general cow supplies do I need? :help:

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Congrats! I love cattle! Have you ever had one suck on your fingers? I love that!

How old is she? Up to 6 months of age, we keep ours on 21% calf feed, then the heifers get switched to a 16% dairy mix, the steer get a 14% steer fattener...... And ofcourse hay......

Just some general things to have on hand : a halter (even though we have never used ours :rolleyes: )..... salt or mineral blocks..... we always have some sort of anti~biotic on hand, incase of coughing, etc (winter can be trying if young enough).....

I can't thing of much else, now something I ~like~ to have are those marking chalk...... Do you have any idea how fun it is to write on your cattle..... :hobbyhors ...... I'm crazy I know..... but just imagine a 900lb white face hereford bull walking around the pasture with pink writing on him.....

·
Registered
506 Posts
Halter her, spend time handling her. Lead/walk her around the place. Give her some COB with molasses and alfalfa pellets, and hay or grass... she may not be able to eat the former two, but will try...and succeed one day at it. If she's not weaned, milk replacer with antibiotic per package directions in a 2 qt. bottle, twice a day...if she's small, less than 2 qts. each feeding.

Get "Keeping a Family Cow" and "The Family Cow" for books to help you along.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.