new house / neighbor's barking dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by redgreenblugill, Aug 9, 2004.

1. redgreenblugill

redgreenblugill Member

Long time listener, first time caller. New to the board. Just bought a nice little house (about 1,000 sq ft) on 10 acres out in the country after searching for about 2 years. The house is about 50 or so feet from the neighbor's house. Problem is constant dog barking at times. The dogs are friendly enough, they just like to bark a lot. I also don't mind a dog that barks if it has a purpose. Any ideas you've used to quite a neighbor's dog?

2. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

A ball of liverwurst with a sleeping pill inside?

Only kidding, have you tried talking to the owners?

3. RAC

RAC Guest

How long has this been going on? Sometimes new dogs need to bark to help "settle in". Is it night barking when the owners are home? or day barking, when you're home and they're not? If they're not home, they don't hear it....

First, try talking to the neighbors, you'd be surprised at how many people get used to the dogs barking all the time. It never occurs to them that it bothers someone.

If that doesn't work, set up a video camera and record, showing a copy of the day's paper on the tape, and have a witness if you can. Make a copy for you before you give them one. Maybe then they will take some action.

After that, I don't know, if you're out in the boonies you may get "move back to the city, etc.", depending on whether there are any laws concerning barking dogs, and animal control to back it up.

4. RAC

RAC Guest

Sorry, I meant dogs need to get used to new neighbors, although what I posted above is also true....LOL

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

before we married my wife had a neighbor with a dog that either howled or barked all night. After talking with the neighbors about it without any success (the neighbor just ignored the noisey dog) my wife talked to all the other neighbors about it and they devised a plan. When the dog barked or howled at night, one (or all) of the neighbors would call the offending neighbor's house and hold the phone out the window so that all the neighbor heard was their own barking dog. It did't take many of these 3:00 am phone calls before the neighbors gave the dog away to some one who lived out in the country...probably YOUR neighbor.

6. Tinker

Tinker Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't really have any advice for you, but I sure can sympathise. We have 18 acres, and a dog 2 properties away that barks constantly. We moved to the country for peace and quiet, and this really irks us. There is another neighbor between us, and it is basically right in his back yard. I am a great dog lover--have 2 now, and have had as many as 5 at one time, but I think someone who allows an animal to carry on like that is extremely inconsiderate, as well as a bad pet owner. We are getting ready to move again, and unfortunately a lot of the properties have acreage, but the house sits right on the road, or next to another house. We want a secluded spot--don't want to see or hear those neighbors.

It may just be a matter of the dog adjusting to your comings and goings. I would try talking with the owners, but be calm and not accusing. Try to reason with them, as you will have to be living next to these people for many years. If that doesn't work, take an agressive approach. Check if the dog has food and water. If there is any sign of abuse, document it with pics, and call the local animal shelter, or the sheriff.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

7. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

Mine bark..usually at something or someone though. Like we have a neighbor who is major paranoid. He thinks someone is out to get him and as a result he prowls around his place all night long sometimes. So my dogs hear him and can see him and they bark. We live in a smallish neighborhood on 1 1/4 acres. Our dogs are penned. But they see someone walking and they think that person is invading their territory and they bark. Our solution to our paranoid neighbor was to put up s wooden fence so the dogs can't see him as easily, but if someone goes walking up the road at night they are going to run the fence and bark. At least they don't howl like the rottie next door. Everytime he hears a siren he howls and howls. Luck would have it the VFD is about a mile away too.

8. kaji1

kaji1 Member

Check with ihe local PD or Shertff about a noise/nusance law. Most Cities,Townships, and Counties have them. If there is one, call every time the dog keeps you awake. Sooner or later the cops will tire of hearing from you or going out to quiet the dogs and stop it.

9. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

The sure cure... a nice little bebe gun. Now, before you all go crazy and call PETA on me or something... I have used this on my OWN dogs. Since you can't put a shock collar on a neighbor's dog.. and it's ridiculously expensive anyway..

Usually after one or two hits (in the butt, of course) it is effective enough that MY dogs.. shut up when I only go to the door and pop the igloo dog house or nearest tree. I'm sure with careful aim and a VERY SHORT time.. the little doggie next door will associate the event and GET QUIET real fast!

Don't use a pump rifle!! Too dangerous. Just a little bebe gun that doesn't pump up. They're only good to about 50 ft. If you really HAVE to use a pump.. only one pump.

Okay.. that's my solution.

10. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Get a fan. A Very Large fan, turn it on when you go to bed. You won't hear a thing, until you turn it off in the morning.

Of course, the best cure is to not have neighbors. I have some part timers half a mile away, first full time neighbor is two miles...

Did you visit the place before you bought it? At all times of the day and night? I know it's too late now, but when moving in next to somebody, it never hurts to talk to them before you leap in, to find out if they're axe murderers or not. Life is difficult enough without having bad neighbors or neighbors holding a grudge because of minor things...

IF, I lost my mind, and sold off some tracts close to me, and somebody bought them, and built within spitting distance, they shouldn't complain when my dogs bark all night, my guineas scream all day, roosters crow half the night, and I might run outside at night in my undies with a rifle blasting away at varmints, real and imagined.

11. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

If you have just moved in, the dogs might be getting used to someone new next door and may settle down. If they are guardian dogs, like Great Pyrenees, they will just about always bark at night, that is their way of warning off predators. But maybe take some time to get to know your neighbors first, before approaching them about the dogs. If you are new to the country, and start off by expecting the natives to change what is happening on their property (even though you can hear it) you can end up with less than a friendly relationship. In the Old Days, and still around here, neighbors needed each other and were/are usually willing to help one another out as needed in emergencies. Give the area some time, be open to learning what is the best way to become a good neighbor yourself, and it could pay off. Those who are new to the country and don't try to bring town with them are usually a lot more accepted and welcomed. Every family on our road would help out anyone in the area no matter what the circumstance, they are just great neighbors, and hopefully you can develop that kind of mutual trust and respect with yours. It could mean an awful lot to you some day when you get snowed in and can't drive down the lane to work, or when you need help with haying or the horses get out during a torrential downpour (it is their favorite time to go roaming) :) Good luck with your new home, hope you enjoy all that living in the country can offer.

12. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

my dogs bark at anything that moves until they get used to it..

they used to go nuts about the chickens.. (my dogs are staked out on swivel stakes)... but now.. the chickens roost on the dog houses and steal food from the dog dishes ..

right now.. for us the worst thing is the deer... we have a bunch of plants with dark purple berries on them - we have been told not to eat them, but the ag office says deer love them.. so the deer are constantly trying to get at them and the dogs go nuts. I figure eventually the dogs will get used to them and stop barking.........

fortunately we only have "weekenders" who live close.. and they have two very yappy dogs they bring with them.. sooooooooooooooooo...

I swear the roosters tag team with the dogs at night too.. when the dogs arent barking, the roosters are crowing.. and vice versa...
    I use a large fan in my ear and it helps to drown out the noise........

Lynn in Texas

13. RAC

RAC Guest

No well-trained dog, regardless of breed, is just going to bark all night.

And, just because one lives in the country is no excuse for using "the country" as an excuse for letting dogs bark all night, run around loose, etc. It is simply common courtesy (as well as for the safety of the animal) to train it properly. How many dogs sadly get hurt or killed because someone else is fed up with their poor behavior, yet have had no luck in getting the owner to behave?

Now, that said, do make sure that it isn't something else making them bark, like a squirrel, or the birds (our dog barks at the birdies in Springtime during the day) before you go talking to the neighbor. Also, it seems every so often there is a "barking hour", reminds me of the 101 Dalmations story, where everyone's dogs bark at each other. Most people around us have dogs, so it would be funny for someone to complain....

14. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

Did you just move from the city to the country? When i did this i wondered when those damb birds ,chipmunks etc would shut up. STOP. What no screeching brakes gun fire and so on. I must be in the country. HOW WONDERFULL. I'm amongst friends be it dog, chipmonk, squirel, or neighbors. God it's great to be in the country.

15. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Have you ever met a Great Pyrenese? I love to hear Sam bark at night. Give me peace of mind to know that he's on watch. I don't complain about "their" loud music and loud cars and "they" don't complain about Sam barking. That's compromise. That's about being a good neighbor. "They" may be scared of Sam, but they know that the coyotes will no longer kill their cats.

16. RAC

RAC Guest

Dogs can be on watch and not bark every few minutes. It really does come down to training, whether you're talking small, yappy dogs or big dogs.

As to which noise is worse (dogs, cars, loud music--all of these will scare coyotes, LOL), it depends on how close it is to you, and how free of noise the area usually is without the particular distraction. And sometimes the noise IS all from one side of the fence, sad to say, so there isn't the "I'll put up with your noise because you'll put up with mine" option. And what if you were the original resident (and quiet) only to have someone new move out from the city with the attitude, "Hey, we're out in the country now, we can do anything we want, anytime we want, and we don't care about anyone else"? Would you feel the same way?

If you live near a busy thoroughfare, one more dog or car isn't really going to matter, unless perhaps you actually sleep during the day. On the other hand, if you really live out in the country or the woods, a loud dog, or fireworks, or minibike/ATV motors can and will drive you nuts, because it is like being awakened from a sound sleep, when you are used to rather quiet surroundings.

If someone complained (nicely) about our dog, I would at least do the neighbor the courtesy of paying extra attention for a week or two to see if they were being reasonable about it, and if so, taking care of it by bringing the dog in at night, for example, until I was able to train the dog better. A dog barking all the time is not much of a watchdog, because then people get lazy and don't check on what's making the dog bark. That is being a good neighbor. I cannot see how dismissing someone out of hand would be conducive to encouraging him to help you in a future time of need.....

17. Tempest

Tempest Well-Known Member

Sit down when you aren't going to be distracted. Think of your pets and how they make you feel. With that feeling of warmth in your heart picture in your mind scratching the neighbor's dogs behind the ears, telling them they're good dogs, doing a good job guarding their people. Let them know you're a friend, you live here now and ask them to please be quiet at night unless there is something dangerous intruding. Picture the door to their house opening and the dogs being let in. That's the advice I got and it worked. We moved to town and the neighbor's dog barked all night and day. She was normally left out all winter and summer. After doing this little exercise a couple times not only did she bark alot less, but her owners started bringing her in. Someone behind us got a puppy that would bark every time I went into my back yard. Did the same thing with it and it's quiet when I go into my backyard now and it's inside more often. Got to be such good friends with those two, I now have 3 dogs protecting my property and I only have to feed one *_~
    And yeah, I know, many think it's hoaky, wacky, if not down-right off the funny farm. Give it try, anyone can do it.
    Peace and blessings,
    Tempest

18. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

A friend gave us a black lab years ago. Such a sweet dog, but he barked constantly at night. Even though we live on 10 acres, I knew that others could hear him, so after a few days of this, I went and bought a bark collar. End of problems. I think we only had to use it a week or so, and when we removed it, he had stopped the inappropriate barking.

You might want to call your neighbor and discuss this if it really bothers you. I'd mention that a friend had this problem, and a bark collar really helped. Heck--you can even offer to provide the bark collar--you can buy a cheap one and loan it to him for a couple of weeks. :)

I'd try to keep it friendly and low key.