Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all,

I find myself frequenting this forum more and more often, and seeing that we are getting more and more into the homesteading lifestyle, I figured it might be a good idea to introduce myself.

Although I've always been a bit of a "country boy" the last year I have really gotten more into self sufficiency and wanting a homesteading lifestyle for me an my family. I've been married close to 10 years, and we have a young daughter. We are in Michigan on a few acres, and currently looking at trying to sell our home and get into another with about 10 acres, or maybe even just buy land (if we can't sell our home) and build 5-10 years down the road.

Last year was our first real garden (just one 8x8 raised bed), and thanks to the wonderful free mulch, compost, and soil I get from a local farmer I barter with, our crop did very well. This years garden was 2x as big, and did extremely well (aside from tomatoes which we got into the dirt to late). We do raised beds and it works out great for us, I'm building more right now so next years garden will be roughly doubled in size again!! I am planting garlic this Sunday too for the first time!

This year I got into beekeeping, and was able to harvest about 7 pints of our own honey from only 2 frames!! I plan on adding another hive next year.

This year I also got into laying chickens, I started with 6, and lost 2 due to some poison berries that were in their paddock. I have 4 left, and they are doing great. They have about a 35x40 paddock I built them that they free range in all day, I supplement with all organic feed, and they have a really nice coop I built myself.

I also have a compost pile, but its not as good as I would like yet.

Winter plans: I plan on getting into meat rabbits, been reading on it the last 2 days and I think I have a pretty good handling on it.

Next year I plan on doing some feeder pigs with the farmer who I get my compost from. His first time doing them too. We are going to do them on his land, and Ill be helping out labor and $$ wise. I also plan on doing meat birds, probably a batch in spring and a batch in fall. I also want to add 4 more layers, and the additional beehive, and of course the garden will be 2x bigger.

Well, enough about me, see you around the boards I guess! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome aboard. I reside in the U.P. I lived in the lower peninsula up until 10 years ago. Are you planning on staying within the same area due to work obligations? Do you plan on just farming/being self-sufficient? In the U.P., there are few jobs that pay a lot -- teachers, working for universities, certain types of hospital work, or the mines tend to be the highest paying jobs up here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
docholiday,
Welcome. Sounds like you are really into the swing of things. Look forward to hearing more about your projects.
nosedirt

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Welcome!- Another Michigander making it work on only 2 acres

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the welcomes, and look forward to learning more from all of you.

BeesHurt - we are looking at land in the general vicinity (eyeing some land 15 minutes away right now) to stay close to family as we feel that's important for our child. I love the UP, used to go up there snowmobiling every year, beautiful land up there. I think if it were 100% up to me I would move up there, or at least more "up north", but I think my wife doesn't want to venture to far away, which I understand, so I think we'll settle in close by where we are currently at. I want to get as self sufficient as possible, whether or not I somehow craft that into supplementing my income or becoming my income down the road, I can't say at this time. Right now the goal is to provide for as much of our food as possible, if I can sell a little to off-set or pay for my costs well that will just be a bonus.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good luck with your homesteading. Hope that you can find more acreage like you want. I know that my mother resides about 4-1/2 hrs away from me (in the lower peninsula) and she's 3-1/2 hrs away from my sister (she lives in suburban Detroit area Warren). I would like to be closer to my mother, even invited her to live with me (my sister did the same invite to her as well), but she wants to stay put for at least a year (dad passed away mid-March). She prefers to stay on her own (she's 82).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts