new homestead in TN

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by patarini, Nov 19, 2004.

1. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Just bought a small shack and 22 acres of hills and 1 acre of valley! LOL
    Just wanted to say hi -- doinf a ton of research to live on this place down the road! Any advice help or info is welcome! oh yes -- no water or electric yet!

2. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Congratulations on the gem in the rough find. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.
    I have visited Tennessee a couple of time and used to say that I wanted to live there. Guess I've given up on that now as it is probably more humidity than I could handle.

3. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

east or west Tennessee??? If you're in east Tennessee you can find lots of valuable resources at Cumberland General Store. Other folks can order from their catolog.

We are in north central Alabama. Ask questions if there's anything any of can do to help!!!! There's also a great web site and great forum at backwoodshome.com If you're not familiar with Backwoods Home magazine (not Backhome but Backwoods Home) then you need to buy their anthologies. Also grab hold of any back or current issues of COUNTRYSIDE that you can get your hands on!!!

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Welcome!! you cant really go wrong in stopping by this website, and cant really go wrong living off the grid either..... batteries, solar panels, gensets, water storage tanks.... small pumps, my nieghbor gets 250 gallons of water from me every few days, and is currently putting in 2 3500 gallon storage tanks [concrete rings] he has a 5500 wat invertor and 2 orklift batteries, chages them every other day for 5 hours.... $60 per month fosil fuel and runs his 16x70 mobile house for him and his wife.... they also have propane stove, on demand propnae water heater, and auxilery propane heat.... they run notebook computers they charge batteries at work daily and hae wirelss [broadband internet service] so no phone is needed.

Sounds like an awesome start for you anyhow.... got questions? or is it got more questions?

William

5. Jicama

Jicama Active Member

Last week I stopped in at the Cumberland General Store and they are going out of business. When I asked why, the lady behind the counter said, "Because I want to retire". She said the store and catalog are closing, however the website doesn't reflect the catalog closing yet that I can tell. Sad to see them go.

6. patarini

Want to stay off grid if possible -- have eloectric and city water and natural gas close by but electric co wants 3000 to run to the cabin! And the city water is 850 to hook up, but a half mile of pipe to lay! Have springs on the property and a creek (good water) 200 yards from the house. Have some inverters from my truck -- not real good ones 1-1000 2-2000 1-3000 made for semis not household tho. Only problem is dont get a lot of sun -- about 8 or 9 to 3 is all so i hope solar will work. Started planting ginseng and some vines too -- waas going to look into some d8 batteries deep cycle but will check into the forklift type! The electric co here is expensive! Oh yes -- I an inbetween jackson and nashville! Thnx for the welcome all -- be safe!

7. Becky H.

Becky H. Well-Known Member

Congratulations! kick back and enjoy the moment for now. plenty of work ahead. the people that built our home before us made a lean to and lived in it while they built the home with their own hands. i have upmost respect for that. we're finishing it up. have 18 acres ourselves. if you get some chickens you will see me here on the chicken board as well, they are good for meat and eggs for your family. Good luck and have fun!!!

8. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

gosh! I can't imagine the Cumberland General store and catalog going out of business....looks like they would just sell out if they wanted to retire....

Anyway, Tennessee will be a great place to homestead!

9. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

you mentioned between jackson and nashville are you near

Buck Snort/ Centerville

I am in Columbia

AG

10. ChristenaTN

ChristenaTN Active Member

How cool to see other Tennessee folks here:) I"m 1 1/2hours from Nasvhille. K, heres my advice neighbor! For Starters you shuld get yourself a ram pump to run water from your spring to your cabin (requires NO ELCECTRIc or GAsoline). Check out Leymans non electric . They have a website and you can get a catalog to see which one you'd need. I also reccomend if your married or with family a spetic and toilet. If your a bachelor a simple outhouse would do nicely. Heck my hubbys kin peed off the front porch but for the other situation a nice enclosed outhouse is called upon. Water is the most important resource along with a heat source. Woodstoves are abundant as well as firewood. No one chops wood on their own land round these parts since so many folks have tracts they;'ve cut timber off of and offer neighbors the laps to chop and haul off for free. Southern hospitality does still exist:) NOw water and heat thats the basic but you'll want to fix up this cabin of yours to keep critters and drafts away. Once your able you could dig yourself a nice root cellar and thats a nice place I"d imagine to take some cool breaks come summer. Foks aorund here face thier homes in a certian direction to get the best breezes. And depending on where your at you can even have the luxery of a cell phone so you need not run the expense of that since you can use the local librarys computers and internet. Gardens rouind here do'nt do well set in the middle of the woods unless they are fences nicely and i prefer chicken wire. Deer will eat it all up and rabbits and you name it. If you want to kep chickens you best llok out for coyotes and such they'll eat them up:( Tell me how I know. Ick! ANyhoo, a nice little coop near your cabin would do nicely and that only leves chicken snakes which uyou'll just have to hope you can find and get rid of when they come slithering aorund. Theres so much I could go on and on and bore you to tears! Sorry for the rambly novel here.LOL! I wish you luck and enjoy your new place!

11. timmcentire

timmcentire Active Member

Hey angus_guy and patarini,

AG, funny you should mention Bucksnort/Centerville. We live up in this area. Trivia about Bucksnort, TN. When we first moved here, I thought it had something to do with deer - lots of those around here. Anyway, it was named Bucksnort because there wuz this guy named Buck and he had the best "snort" around. This area used to be a big moonshine area.

A couple of other tiny, tiny towns close to Bucksnort are named: Only and Spot. Don't know why those are named that. I actually live near a town called Nunnelly - somehow, I don't think it has anything to do with nuns, though.

12. ChristenaTN

Ya'll are probably near to Lobeville and Linden and could make a trip down there for some good garden stuffs at the AMish communitys!! Closest AMish to me is Guthrie KY since I"m not that far from the line in MOntgomery country. Anyhoo, for anyone who wants to find good garden foods and AMish made itmes you should have a looksie. They have a store I like to visit and buy from . You can also usualy get better quality and spend less $$. Thought I'd share that tidbit for those who might be interested:) I know a lady who runs mylocal Herbal store who lives in Bucksnort! I'll have to ask her about that story.LOL! Gota love the low property taxes down there in the boonies folks!

13. timmcentire

Hey Christina,

I'll agree with you on the Amish community. We go there often and that little store on Hwy 438 is a nice one. Across the street from it is a bed and breakfast run by a Mennonite lady (rates aren't too bad). I think she has a pet crow or something that hangs out with her. Beside the store is the Mennonite church. It's all a wonderful area. Lots of friendly homesteading type folks around.

By the way, for all those interested in Amish/Mennonite communities in the U.S. and worldwide, there's a newspaper called The Budget, that is well worth the subscription fee:

http://members.tripod.com/amishbuggy/thebudget.htm

14. timmcentire

oops. sorry Christena, I speeled your name wrong.

15. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Hybrid systems are OK. I have a wind ginny & two small PV's that run emergency lights & recreational power. If you have sufficient water flow, or can build an adequate dam, you might wanna go the hydro electric route. I have no streams on my place but live on a windy hillside with southern exposure. Wind is as unreliable as sunshine in our part of the state. Would love to be off grid completely, but not practical @ current residence.
    Lawrenceburg, TN here, US43, south of Nville & Columbia. Drove thru Bucksnort to get to Union City (Dixie Gun Works)
    We also have, & enjoy, the Amish. If your driving thru please be careful of them.

16. ChristenaTN

Cool, so how much is the subscription then????? It said you had to write or phoen for that and it would save me time if you could remember:) Thanks!

17. timmcentire

The subscription to The Budget ( http://members.tripod.com/amishbuggy/thebudget.htm )is $40 a year, $28 for 6 months, $73 for 2 years. We've enjoyed it and will definitely renew again. Ask for the National edition (they have a local Ohio edition that is just for Ohio Amish). The National covers the rest.

Yesterday, I came across a young Amish man working on a fence and struck up a conversation with him. I asked him if he'd heard of The Budget. He said, "Of course !". He perked up quite a bit when I told him that we subscribed to it and we talked about some of the things that were in some recent issues. Especially interesting were the Letters to the Editor that debated whether they should vote or not in the election.

18. patarini

COOL! THNX for all the great info -- I got septic and indoor toilet/tub just no plumbing! LOL And yup I am just outside of linden on short creek rd -- not even 1.2 mile to the buffalo fer fishing in case I forget to work!
    Been looking at the ram pump just dont know if it would work or noty ans hate to spend the money if it wont -- found a book on how to make one so maybe try that! And PS -- I still will think of deer everytime i drive past big ol bucksnort! Well time to leave wonderful hurricane mills and to the house i go --have a great thansgiving all -- I know i will be counting my blessings -- and crying cause i will miss the bears game this year!