New Holland Lop, lundged at and bit my daughter.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by sbox, May 14, 2005.

1. sbox

sbox Member

Got a 1 1/2 year old holland lop to day for my daughter. She was fine when we got home, but had been in her new cage for an hour or so when my daughter tried to reach for her to take her out of the cage. She lunged at my daughter grunted and bit her thumb. Luckily it didn't break the skin. but scared the heck out of her..Then I reached in the cage an hour later and she grunted and lunged at me.

OK, I know she's not part pitbull but why is she doing this? Is it just the new surroundings and unfamilliar people? Or does she just have a mean streak? If so as soon as she has the babies and they are old enough to pull away from mom, she's out of here..

2. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

3. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

They do this when they're pregnent.
    She's in a new enviroment
    with new people.
    Give her time to adjust.
    Be patient. If you were pregnent and someone
    took you to an unfamilar place you'd be ticked off to.

4. castiglione

castiglione Member

You might want to leave the lop alone for a day or two to get acclimated to her new environment (coming to a new home is usually stressful for many pets).

A lot of rabbits don't like to be picked up - in the wild, when they're picked up, it usually means there probably going to end up being someone's dinner so they tend to react very negatively to this. It can also take a couple of months for a rabbit to bond to its owner. Another thing you can do is to interact with it on its own level, i.e. scootch down so you're face to face with the rabbit - because a lot of birds prey on rabbits, anything above them tends to freak rabbits out.

Rabbits also tend to get very grouchy when they are preggers but it may not necessarily be the reason for this rabbit's aggression. BTW - you might want to get her spayed. Does tend to come down with uterine cancer at 1-3 years of age, which is usually fatal. If they don't get cancer, rabbits should live to be about 12 years assuming the dog doesn't eat them or they don't get stepped on, etc. Spaying may also calm down a lot of the aggression, which is sometimes hormonal.

You can find a bunch information on rabbit body language and what it means by Google'ing for pet rabbit information.

This is all, of course, assuming that the lop is a pet rabbit. If it isn't, you might want to cull it and throw it in the stew pot.