New here

Discussion in 'Testers' started by Mullers Lane Farm, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Mullers Lane Farm

Mullers Lane Farm Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm (we're) new to the testers. We've had the 9th edition for over a year. Carla has enticed us over here. I though I'd tell you a bit about us (this is a repeat for Carla) so someone can tell us where we could possibly help the most. We’ll be taking a short road trip this weekend (to b-i-l barn raising) and taking the 9th edition with us (I read aloud while Paul drives) so we can begin this evening.

Here goes .... (deep breath) ....

We've had our 10.8 acres since 04-08-02. Half of the land is in alfalfa/grass hay that we farm with our team of Belgian draft horses (mow, rake & bale). The static creatures around the place are: Jersey cow, laying chicken flock, heritage turkeys, guineas, geese, rabbits, honeybees, Belgian horses, quarterhorse, mule, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 girl, 2 boys, husband & wife. The critters that come and go throughout the year for meat are pigs, chickens and offspring of rabbits, turkeys, guineas & geese. There is a small orchard consisting of 5 old apple trees, 2 old & 1 new plum tree, 2 new cherry and 2 new pear trees. There's also a grape vine.

My husband, Paul, is a professional handyman ("Anything your husband won't do!"). He is a very creative and Industrious man who has done a number of magical things around the homestead. The watering system for our pigs is
    A gravity fed water barrel he created. He and my son made the lean-to forge for less than $10 (this includes a huge double chamber bellow). He is a teamster, leatherworker, harness repairman, blacksmith, farrier, furniture maker,
    Blue grass musician, electrician, plumber, carpenter, tailor and one of the most humble men I've ever known. He's also an historical interpreter and puts on history shows at local schools and for groups. He's been published in a few magazines, Small Farmer's Journal and others. Most recently is the July 2003 issue of Country Extra, page 31 - how we got our cow. I also work fulltime outside the home. I garden (vegetables, herbs, flowers and flowering weeds) and preserve the harvest. I'm a soap & herbal salve maker (render my own animal oils), I spin, braintan leather, do Native American beadwork, crochet, knit. Make cheeses, breads & butter.

Our farm is open to schools and organizations to give the younger generation a taste of how life used to be and to let them see where food really comes from. Shoot, it's not just the younger generation, we have a bus load of folks coming out from a local nursing home. I'm sure that one will run long and we'll end up learning a whole lot!

Prior to this, Paul lived outside a big city and worked his draft horses anywhere and everywhere he could, he kept poultry in his backyard. We both have been involved in historical re-enactments. He's worked cattle on ranches from CO to Montana. I've gardened since the day I first sunk my hands in dirt and realize miracles happen there! I didn't start canning & preserving until about 20 years ago though. I've kept different poultry for the past 11 years everywhere from in the country to my backyard in a subdivision. I've made soap and sundries for about 5 years, just started this past year in cheeses.

We spend at least one weekend a month in all but the winter, electricity free. Now, we don't turn off the power main because we do want our freezers and fridge to keep going, but electricity is not used, water is pumped and hauled
    where it is needed, cooking is done over the campfire. There are candles and lamps going.

That's it in a nutshell....and exhale ....I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting (or I just ran out of breath)

So where can we help?

Cyndi & Paul Muller

2. rewalston

rewalston Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group. You have just told us all one of my biggest dreams...and currently it looks more like a daydream then ever becoming reality. :oops: :( My grandparents did what you know do, and when I was little it was something and still is what I dream of doing. Just don't know when I'll be able to do it. But the dream stays there not dying. Again, welcome to the group.

3. Mullers Lane Farm

Thank you for the welcome.

Don't give up your dream. Paul and I are in our mid-forties. We've been dreaming and learning and practicing for this for all our lives. It took a good long time to get where we are. We never gave up on the dream. That was important. We learned about and did everything we could where we were in our lives. We've both kept chickens and rabbits in our suburban backyards. I've always gardened. Veggies and fruits I didn't/couldn't grow, I bought from the farmer's market and learned how to preserve those. Just because you are not where you want to be right now doesn't mean you won't ever get there. Keep dreaming and keep learning the skills you will need.

Cyndi

Did I really goof up by making this an 'announcement'?? I'm rather new to this type of newsgroup and just wanted the post to be seen so someone can tell us how we can be of help asap.

4. amymp

amymp Member

Hi Cyndi,

Its nice to meet you! Yes, it sounds to me that you are doing our dream too! My husband is really into history (finishing his masters this summer) And I am really into homearts, always have been, learned on my mom's lap. Just a matter of making things work out right now, but sounds like we are in the right direction, according to what you did to prepare yourselves. :)

Where you can help out? Get a copy of the herbs chapter, sounds like you can help there with your herbal experience. and I'm sure a lot of other chapters, too. Just start trying out the recipes the way they are written and add your notes, suggestions, and whether they worked out OK. I think there is a sticky somewhere on the *proper* way to post recipes tried, so check that out.

I would love to visit your farm too!

Amy

5. Mullers Lane Farm

Great - I'll start with the herb chapter in edition #9 (might bore Paul to death, but he'll live :rolleyes: ) Actually, I think that is one chapter I haven't looked at yet :oops:

I've ready the sticky about how to post - just was wondering who was short handed.

Where are you in IL?? We're in the NW corner, about 30 miles north of I-80, south of Rock Falls. You have an open invite to visit any time! If we're not home, be sure to turn the lights out before you leave!

6. amymp

amymp Member

We live in Macomb, About 1 1/2 hours south of the Quad Cities. We will have to plan a trip sometime since its kind of far.

Really you should jump in wherever you feel most comfortable. I'm not sure which sections are shorthanded at this point, but someone will probably have an idea.

Amy

7. Kelle in MT

Kelle in MT Well-Known Member

WOW! :D and Welcome Cyndi. We are just in the beginning stages of our little farm. We just purchased a 1910 farm house and 6 acres on the river this past Dec. My Dh, Mike is going to get a draft team for farming here as well as for hay rides and sleigh rides. First we have lots of work to do on our pasture and hay field, the fencing needs to all be redone. Then the animals will come into play. Sounds as if you're busy people. My Grandmother and inlaws have been visiting all week and my Grandmother said, "Kelle, you haven't sat down in a week. I've never seen such a worker" I love to cook and garden and I'm starting to learn about herbs and salves. I love to quilt in the winter, but in the Spring I'm outdoors 95% of the time working in the yard, garden or just on some project we happen to have going. We have laying hens as well as two turkeys(coming soon) and we had Broilers, now they're chilling in the freezer :D I've been trying to get my family to do an electricity free evening once a week( with exception to the frig and freezers) We really only have a TV for news and selected movies we have. We all love to read and I love to get mail so I write family and friends by snail mail :D Look forward to working with you. Have a blessed and productive weekend ;)

8. rewalston

backed up to this point.

9. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

Printed and tallied to date. :D

10. rewalston