New here with question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kim2430, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Kim2430

Kim2430 Member

Hi all!

I'm Kim, live in GA. I have 4 does. A week and a half ago, someone threw some very moldy english muffins over the fence to my girls. They were so sick, I thought I might lose them. I got them back by giving them pepto bismol, and forcing water mixed with electrolytes into them. The 2 sickest both went into labor and had their babies too early. One was dead at birth and the other little guy lived for 2 days. My other doe is huge. I'm sure she's having at least 2-3 babies. Her udder has been so full of milk the past week it looks as though it could just burst. The 150 day time period was yesterday. I'm getting worried that maybe the sickness did something to her to and maybe she's not going into labor. I don't know, she just looks so miserable. No discharge and ligaments are still there. Any ideas?

2. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

prayers that all goes well. I sorry someone did this to you and your does. Not nice.. Liz

3. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

It is indeed challenging living where people are ignorant enough about goats to think they can eat anything, and those people have access to your goats. Been there.

The gestation range is 145 to 155 days, so try not to worry too much yet. However, you may have a point with the sickness. All you can do now is wait, and have a vet ready and informed in case there are terrible complications from the poisoning. If she goes past 155 days, I'd take her in or get a shot of something to get her started. I forget what does it, Oxytocin? Lutalyse? I forget, but the vet will know.

Have you been able to feel her babies moving? You might also ease her udder a bit if it's shiny-tight. She'll still have colostrum for the kids.

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Kim, I am really sorry that someone did that. Lets pray that they were not trying to hurt them. I really believe they thought they were being a nice person giving them a "treat". Most people think that goats eat ANYTHING. :shrug:
    I would say your other doe that is ready to kid will be fine. My last doe to kid went 159 days. How is the ligament? Is it gone yet? I would bet it will be anytime, like really really soon.
    Good luck with her and post pictures when she has them.
    By the way welcome.

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

We had a doe have a baby at 160 days, the baby would have lived too, but its head was turned back and no one was home at the time. Good Luck with your doe, and sorry about the two that had dead babies. Maybe you could post a sign that says not to feed the goats anything, that if they want to they can ask you about it first. Good Luck. BYe.

6. Kim2430

Kim2430 Member

Thanks for your replies. I now have signs up in 2 spots out by the road telling them to not feed the animals. I don't believe it was done maliciously, just something think that goats could eat anything-least I hope that's all it was.
    Just checked my doe again and she's fine. CAn still feel the ligaments. If you're sure it won't hurt the colostrum, I might milk a little-it looks painful.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

From what I know, the ligaments can go very fast right before kidding...I hope all goes well for you...I am always leery about having animals in a roadside fenced in area...people are always feeding them "stuff" apples to horses and such...

8. Mortgage-Hill

Mortgage-Hill Active Member

i am sorry for mean stupid people,,
    i would give them penn orally, because of the buffer agent in it. and also give them probias. if the doe is full with milk, i would relieve her, keep the colostrum in the freezer and when she kids warm it up, DO NOT MICROWAVE IT, and feed it to the kids, the first 2-3 days are colostrum. the first milking is always the best. i would give them penn and probias for atleast 3 days and no more than 5 days. let us know how things go!
    LaNetta Batts

9. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I try not to throw antibiotics into my goats unless they actually look ill. Especially this late in the game, it would be a shame to mess up her rumen flora with antibiotics, adding to the already great stress of kidding. I'm glad to hear she's well. If her udder is shiny-tight, you might want to relieve her just a bit. There will still be plenty of good colostrum for those kids to nurse. I'd love to hear how the kidding goes!