New Here, wannabe homesteader

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dylan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Dylan

Dylan Pontifex Minimus

Hello everyone. I was looking for a nice place to plant a first post, and I figured here would be best.

I'm a wannabe homesteader, the kind of person who dreams a lot but realizes he can't really get far from town due to work. Especially for me, when my actual home town is around 6000km away. Adapt and overcome, I suppose.

So I have been preparing the wife, slowly, for retirement to a plot of land. The faster retirement comes, the better. Perhaps get some alpacas. Maybe we'll homestead Japan. Who knows.

Anyhoo, I imagine there is a lot of us out there who would rather be on a plot of land than in the rat race. I'm stuck by circumstance, others by lack of capital or lack of spousal cooperation. I'd sure love to hear some uplifting stories about how people overcame those obstacles!

Love,
    Dylan

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

Welcome Dylan. I guess I'm still in the wannabe stage too but just that much closer to my dream of homesteading. My parents homesteaded a small chunk of land when I was a child but circumstances led me to the city and to a city bred spouse.

For me it started as talking and dreaming of "our own place". When it came time for our own place I pushed for something in the bush. We settled on an apartment that backed onto a farmers field. When work took us to a new city we both wanted something a little closer to the dreams we ahd been developing for years. Now we live in an old house, in a small community, with a small plot of land that is big enough for a garden.

Now we are in the planning stages. We are learning the skills we think we will need when we do get the homestead we want. We spend at least part of our vacation time at the local historical village learning about blacksmithing, gardening, and observing building styles and techniques. We are collecting a rather large number of books discussing the techniques of living off the land, stonework building, etc.

There is a good chance that work will require us to move at least one more time. When we do the next home we buy will be that much closer to our goals. Hopefully, we'll even get the chance to learn animal hubandry before we do the final move to a true homestead.

3. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

Waiting for your dream. Why wait Cash? You must wait till you retire?

It's far easier to live in the "city" when your old. Their are stores and activities that are close. In the country things are FAR AWAY. I Mean FAR. If I needed to go to a hospital for instance I'd have to ride almost 1 hour. Thats the Emergancy room not a full service hospital. When your old and your energy is fading why would you try to Raise your own food, Split wood, haul water, feed animals, mend fences and the hundred of other tasks that need to be done?

Move now. Waiting only makes it less desireable in the future. Property IS becoming more expensive EVERYWARE. Large nice plots of land are being broken up into smaller and smaller sizes. The cost of a farm or even bare land has gone up substancally. Now building codes make it almost as expensive to build rural as it is in the "city". Waiting will probably put you out of the market.

I'm 33 Years old Living a life that to me is like being on vacation when I'm home. We grow our own food "most", We raise animals, and have a large garden, picked Apples and Blueberries enough for the whole year. Heck we even sold some of our veggies at our road side stand. Yes I must work Off the homestead but the lifestlye when I'm home makes it worth it. :)

4. Dylan

Dylan Pontifex Minimus

The benefit for me I guess is that I love what I do and I get to retire around 55 with full benefits... and to me that isn't too old. I would like to see if I can start buying up land gradually and moving out incrementally. I understand the want to move out right away (truest me, I am feeling what you are saying!) but it's not exactly the right time. I'm at the bottom of the top of my game where I am now. Still, I love to hear how others have made it out!

Love,

Dylan

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

6. stanb999

Hey, Rose not to be a Kill Joy But have you or your Hubby ever slautered anything?

Let me tell you about this weekend and the hog butchering
    We started on Sat. Morning First thing about 8:00AM. I Started to coax one of the pigs out of the pen. By 8:30- quarter to 9:00 her was tied in the selected area. Then getting the stuff ready and letting him calm down after the struggle of getting him their. took about 2 hours. So, at 11:00 he was killed. Then the tasks of shaving and skinning and gutting began. it was done at 1:00PM. Just intime for lunch. :) Now we begin butchering. cutting and wrapping for 6 hours and it's in the "deep freeze" for him. On sunday we did the second one. Slauter and clean up was a little faster but because this one was bigger the butchering took alot longer. We finished with the hams and the bacon in the brine at 10:00PM. So a whole weekends worth of time spent but the freezer is FULL. :dance:

7. stanb999

The wife Said i'm not to shoot a deer. Theirs no more room in the freezer. But the deer stand in the garden just waiting. :(

8. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Instead of allowing it to be All A Dream---Do something that Help's!! I started by setting up a place on the back of my property I called my Homestead(could be done in a small backyard). I planted a little garden, fixed me a place to camp out(old camper)-----Got a few chickens. I would go there on some weekends and just Live off of the garden and chicken eggs and fish(got a pond there)----It was a Outlet and was fun. Having a little camp fire, built a little shower stall--------I just kept adding till I actually live there now, but still not totally self sufficiant yet, but it is so much fun to be able to get away. For some Electric, I charged golfcart batteries at home, then moved them back and forth on a little trailer, till I got solar panels. You don't have to start out--FULL BLAST---just start by doing something that you would be doing if you were living off the land. If you don't have a backyard-----find or rent a little spot-------you can start by going to a Public place like a State Park-------Burn Candle's/oil lamps, Plan your food, by what you would be raising on your Homestead, cook over a open fire, just get started--------------Just makes you feel Soooooooo Much better to get away--------------Why U sitting There---Get Moving. Randy

9. Dylan

Dylan Pontifex Minimus

Randy, that sounds great! I will start moving out slowly on my property in Canada when I get back. Currently tho, I'm in a high rise in Hong Kong ;)
    I love the idea though, and I will start as soon as I can!