New here from Ohio

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kimi, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Kimi

Kimi Active Member

Hello. I'd first like to say what a great forum this is and I'm so happy to have found it!

Since there wasn't a general introduction section, I thought that I would start out on what interests me the most. Goats!

This is my first post here so I'll begin with a little intoduction. I'm married (16 years) and a first year IT student. Hubby is a maintenance man in a large industrial bakery. We have 5 acres, 5 miniature horses of which we have bred, shown and driven, 3 dogs and 2 cats. I sharpen clipper blades to suppliment our income since I'm not working right now.

I'm interested in holistics and I want to learn more about gardening, food preservation and raising/growing our own organic food.

I don't have any goats yet, I want to learn more about them before I actually acquire them. My main breed interest is Boers but I'd like to have one or two Nubian does as well. I've been searching the net for information and farms / breeders and the more I look, the more interested I get!
    We had a couple goats when I was little but I never learned about proper care, my step-dad just staked them out in the weeds.
    I really love my horses but the property we have is much better suited to having goats, and I like goats too. So I've made the decision to sell the horses within the next year, rest the land and maybe seed it with pasture seed, reconstruct the fence and when everything is in place, buy the goats.
    We have 4 acres that is fenced, about half is heavy brush and woods, half pasture. How many goats can I have without over crowding? I plan to bring them into a smaller enclosure at night with access to the barn 24/7.
    Also, is 100' x 100' pen (with a 3-sided shelter) big enough space to keep a buck in?
    Any and all help and suggestions appreciated!

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Kimi, and welcome to Homesteading Today. A word of caution--this board is addictive. I have Nigerian Dwarf goats, 3 wethers and a doe who is a NubianXNigerian Dwarf. My goats and sheep are all pets. I have my land fenced in 1/2 acre paddocks so I can use rotational grazing. I can't really answer the question about the buck, but someone will offer you excellent advice pretty quick.

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Hello, neighbor! :)

If you would like to come visit us you are more than welcome to.

We are just now focusing on the goat herd and have a direction for it..we are breeding towards Boer and Nubian but have crossbred goats (except four of our bucks) at this point.

Check out our website and go ahead and contact me if you would like to visit.