New here and hopeing for some help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blue8ewe, Nov 1, 2006.

1. blue8ewe

blue8ewe Well-Known Member

I was reading some threads on the sale of goods from a personal farm.
    Fruits and veggies seem not to be an issue (or maybe I am wrong).
    But milk, meet, and eggs are becoming hard to sell without ruining it by processing.

I have a friend who buys through a co-op. Is this not a way to " get around" the authorities?
    I have also read of peopling "renting" out their cow or goat to someone or a few someones. Then the said people pay the farmer to do all the work. The said people get thier products.

I agree it is a lot of extra bull manure to get the job done but it is a way around the mess.
    Or is there more I don't know. :shrug:

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

There is not getting around the rules and regulations. Cow shares (goat/sheep/dairy) are illegal in many states. Here in WA you still need to be grade A before you can do a cow share.

I can sell eggs at the market if I get a license to do so; no license is needed from home. If I want to sell to the coop, I've still got to follow the same rules and regulations.

Each state is different. Can you get around the law? Well, to me it just makes it worse for those who are trying to do it right within the law. Enough people ignore the loose regulations and pretty soon there are stiffer regulations. :shrug:

3. blue8ewe

I guess I have a real problem with the "law" telling me (I) cant buy what I want and from whom I choose.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Things are only getting worse, not better.

You folks all know about the 'dust regulations' the EPA is working to implement????

Soon?

Originally there was an exception for ag in it. The last draft does _not_ have that exception in it. When called on it, the EPA head said he'd get around to sending a letter to the states saying it wasn't meant to apply to farming.

BUT the regulation is there in black & white - letter or no letter. As a side letter, what does it mean? Empty. Just a con.

How will this affect farming? How will it affect tilling your garden? How will it affect handling livestock? How does it affect grain elevators, or local markets - those probably aren't called 'ag' exactly, so the reg _will_ apply to them. Want to sell straw at a local market???? Need to keep the dust down, will you need to bag every bale? Etc. What will it all mean????

It basically directs dust creation to be cut in half, with more restrctions to come.

How will it affect each of us?

This thing is nearing being voted on. But I see no mention of it here at HT.

NAIS is kinda sorta already a done deal, folks are trying to fight it, but really kinda late now.

This dust deal, _that_ you could fight yet. Still a theory. Get all your national reps involved..... This is a _national_ EPA directive, so it _will_ apply to you. Your state may not work very hard to enforce it, but it _will_ be there over your head....

Milk, meat, & such sales are slowy being restricted, more so by each state laws/ regulations. A coop cannot go around these laws any more than an individual can. So far would be a state matter, for the most part.

--->Paul

5. blue8ewe

I for one WOULD go around the law if it meant getting GOOD food for my family.
    Is there any law against "giving" ? What states are "liberal" about these things?
    Where do we the people stand?
    Sorry for sounding so ignorant but I am. Don't have much of a clue. But I know enough to know that things are changing and not for OUR good.