New here and confused

Discussion in 'Testers' started by Sarah J, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi all - I've been lurking and commenting on some of the other animal forums here recently, but only just discovered this one...I want to be a part of it. I have goats, sheep, a bottle calf, chickens, and some fruit trees...oh yeah - and my fuzzy carpet, the Alaskan Malamute. Been homesteading and working toward the goal of being off-grid for five years now.

What do I need to do to help out here?? What areas still need help? The threads are all so long and confusing... But I don't see that many people from my area and thought I could give a Northwest Iowa perspective?

Thanks!

Sarah

2. Kelle in MT

Kelle in MT Well-Known Member

Sarah,
    First let me say Hello and welcome! :D I'm not sure how you got here if you're not a tester for Carla Emery's book. I'm sure she'd be glad to have any information you'd be willing to share. Each of the forum titles are of Chapters from Carla's Encyclopedia of Country Living, she is revising her 9th edition into a more complete 25th anniversary 10th edition. This project has been in the works for well over a year now with hopes of finishing all the testing of recipes and procedures within this years, so as to get it all off the the publisher. As I said above each of the main( top forums) are chapters in the book. All recipes are being tested and each chapter has a list of recipes tested and those still needing to be tested. If you'd like to test some of the still needed testing just follow the recipe and comment on the results, rating it on a scale of 1-5, 5 being excellent and 1 being poor. Please add any comments and/or a better recipe to replace it. When reporting a result go to the appropriate chapter forum and add your reply, stating recipe title, page # it is found on, rating( 1-5) and any comments or adjustments. The same may be done for procedures and information found in the 9th ed of the book. If you have information that may help make a chapter more complete or you just have a helpful bit of information, please make a report under the appropriate chapter forum. If you have any further questions feel free to PM me on here or email me at; kellemt@yahoo.com Again welcome and I'm sure you'll find others involved in this project from your area.
    Blessings,
    Kelle in MT

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Got here by simply browsing through the Homsteading Today forums and saw one I didn't understand titled "testers"...I think I confused myself farther! :) I will take a look and see if there are any recipes I can help with, etc... I may be in over my head, but what else is new? :haha:

Thanks for the info!

Sarah

4. Carla Emery

Carla Emery In Remembrance

Hi Sarah and Kelle. Testers is no longer a hidden forum area. That's how Sarah found it. Sarah, I was really hoping that somebody like you would see Testers and take an interest in what we're doing here. Kelle gave you a really good summary of what our routine is, but there's one thing more. If you will e-mail me your phone number and mailing address and the names of the three chapters in the book that most interest you, I'll send you the current 10th edition version to work from.
    Gratefully,
    Carla Emery
    doncarla@vtc.net

5. Carol in Iowa

Carol in Iowa Member

Hi neighbor!!! It's me, Carol from Spencer!!! I'm just starting out too...If you have any questions give me a holler :) BTW....I may take you up on that soap making lesson!!
    Carol

6. ak homesteader

ak homesteader Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Our homestead is in the Alaskan bush---near a little fly-in lake. No roads, electricity, running water, etc. Just found the testers forum and was confused about it too. Can hardly wait for the next edition. I suppose you already have all the "testers" you need and are ready to print, but if you'd like recipes, or just anything from a homesteader in Alaska, let me know.
    Mrs. AK Homesteader

7. Carla Emery

Hello Mrs. AK Homesteader! Welcome to TESTERS!!! This used to be a really busy place but the testers got so far ahead of the author that they slacked off and I'm making plans to catch up on entering all this wonderful input. Anybody who wants to can be a "testers." And I'm miles away from being ready to print. It's kind of quiet around here now.

The bottom line is that if you have any comments on anything in the book, please enter those thoughts in the matching chapter / thread here at Testers. I think input from a homesteader in Alaska would be VERY valuable!!! I'll eventually get that info integrated into the next edition.

I'd love to get you on my mailing list. Have you been to www.carlaemery.com ? You might go there and sign up for my mailing list... :D Gratefully,
    Carla

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Carla, does that mean you are mailing out new chapters? I could use one and maybe the rest that are needed. Let me know.

9. Carla Emery

Nah, Narita. I quit sending out chapters for the time being--at least until I get caught up. There are over 150 people out there with chapters already. Got to stop somewhere. But I'm welcoming input from anybody who already has one or more chapters, or who has a whole book to experiment from!
    Gratefully,
    Carla

10. Timedess

Timedess Guest

Like Sarah almost a year ago, I just found this forum. Carla, I don't know if you'll remember us, but we're the couple with 8 children you met on your visit to Ozark Cooperative Warehouse. My dh pulled out his "stash" to buy me a copy of your book. :)

Now we have chickens and new to us are rabbits, and we have to consider what to do in our still-small, still-in-the-city garden for this year (I know, we're getting an awfully late start this year :sigh:)

I'd love to be involved in helping to be a "tester" for you!

By the way, the potatoes-on-straw experiemnt was a flop last year.... I think we didn't water enough or something. We might try again this year.

in Him,
    Renee Houston

in Northwest Arkansas

PS Carla, I couldn't pin it down to exactly getting to meet you, but right after we met you, we got the baby chicks. They're all doing well and I'm so excited! I consider them out reall "first leap" into the homesteading lifestyle! :D

11. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

Welcome to testers...still more to test...just look at some of the threads. I have had more fun testing and I'm sure you will, too.

12. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Okay. I just signed up for Carla's mailing list. I've been a fan just about forever...since I saw Carla on the Phil Donahue show a million years ago, milking a goat and having the audience make butter. It was so amusing.

Ruth

13. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

Ok. can someone clarify, exactly what things haven't been tested? I get confused looking at all the posts

:waa:

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You need to wade into the thread about the topic you want to test....note which ones have/haven't been tested (posted periodically ages ago by a leader for that topic) and start testing. Also, just test the things you want to and post them in the appropriate thread. It is ok if more than one person tested a recipe.

You will need a book or chapter to test from. Do you have a copy of her book?