Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for property in New Hampshire to semi-retire to. The kids live on Cape Cod and I am currently too far away from them. Having lived on Cape Cod for 25 years and in rural Oklahoma for the past 3 years, I do not EVER want to live in a tourist area again but would prefer to get some acreage (10-20 acres) of agri zoned land where I can have some peace and quiet and be as self-sufficient as possible.... is affordable and I could make a little bit of a living. A run down property is no problem as I have all the human resources to fix up just about anything ..... I would like it to be affordable, though.

Any suggestions as to where I should look?

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
Good about NH: No income tax. But that's not so hot if you have no income.

Bad about NH: Very high property taxes since that is about all their tax base is for schools, roads, towns, etc.

This means that you may pay through the nose on your property tax bill and not have the benefit of the fact that there is no income tax since you're retired. This issue is widely discussed in the NH newspapers and has been for the last 30 years or more...

So, when you look at property look carefully at the tax bill and and try to evaluate if that is a town that is going to see high tax rate growth so you have some idea of what your future will be like owning 10 to 20 acres. Stay away from the rich areas, the tourista areas, draw flow circles out from the city to predict growth. Fun stuff...

No, I don't live in NH. I left long ago and property taxes was one of the reasons.

Cheers

-Walter
Sugar Mountain Farm
in the mountains of Vermont
http://SugarMtnFarm.com/blog/
http://HollyGraphicArt.com/
http://NoNAIS.org

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Walter. I would prefer VT over NH but the objective is to stay as close to the kids as possible without having to live in MA. Maine is out, too .... just put our land there on the market .... too many taxes there now and getting worse, it seems.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
Hey Dutchie ~ It would be great to have a new neighbor! :)

I would really look more toward the northern part of the state for land if you can. The southern and central areas have really skyrocketed as far as real estate prices go.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else ~ I'm a New Englander at heart I guess. :)

But...as Walter did say...the property taxes kill you. :(

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Beltane! But the Northern part would defeat the purpose of being fairly close to the kids. If we are going to be driving 4+ hours we might as well do Maine or VT.

Maybe I'll be in your area .... if I do I'll PM ya!

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
I love living in NH,, We own 8.5 acres in Alexandria, which I guess is kind of Central NH. I dont think my taxes are bad, I have had worse..I pay 800.00 every 6 mos..We live on a Mtn Rd, not alot of traffic except when the AMC 3 miles above us has an event going on. We raise pigs, cows, rabbits, chickens. There is land across the road from us for sale,, any one buying it will be aware we have a farm and our manure piles whcih dont smell most time , but there will be those days and they will be down wind, would love to see some one else build and have a farm, most every one up here has animals, the man up the rd raises short horns and chickens pigs for his own use, further up is a family who raises goats, down the rd from me are 3 familys who raise pigs, cows and one farm has horses. We are very rural and Boston is only 2 hours away.. I would not want ot live any where else.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The southern part of New Hampshire is VERY grown up. There are small pockets of "rural" areas, but those are quickly being developed. You really have to get north of the Lyme/Orford area to see any drop in prices and less development. To get into a really rural area, you pretty much have to go to Coos county (extreme northern part of the state). Southern Vermont or the Berkshires in Massachusetts might be better for you. They're both touristy, but nothing like Cape Cod. Pretty much anything within a couple hours of Boston is going to be very urban/suburban and not very rural.

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
Hi Dutchie, I too would not live anywhere else- I LOVE NH!
We live about a half hour south of N. Conway-(Ossipee/Effingham) The Mt. Washington Valley (Conway) is very touristy, we do get our share of summer people, but it isn't too bad. The taxes are a bit high- but that's the price of living so close to heaven!
There is a nice farm house right on the highway for sale- has 16 acres out back and they only want a half a mil. :) Has great potential for an antique shop/farm operation. It takes me 2 hours to get to Boston proper.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hill Crest Farm said:
Hi Dutchie, I too would not live anywhere else- I LOVE NH!
We live about a half hour south of N. Conway-(Ossipee/Effingham) The Mt. Washington Valley (Conway) is very touristy, we do get our share of summer people, but it isn't too bad. The taxes are a bit high- but that's the price of living so close to heaven!
There is a nice farm house right on the highway for sale- has 16 acres out back and they only want a half a mil. :) Has great potential for an antique shop/farm operation. It takes me 2 hours to get to Boston proper.
Sounds good, HCF but half a mil is a bit steep for my taste :) I am looking more for a fixer upper :dance:

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cchapman84 said:
The southern part of New Hampshire is VERY grown up. There are small pockets of "rural" areas, but those are quickly being developed. You really have to get north of the Lyme/Orford area to see any drop in prices and less development. To get into a really rural area, you pretty much have to go to Coos county (extreme northern part of the state). Southern Vermont or the Berkshires in Massachusetts might be better for you. They're both touristy, but nothing like Cape Cod. Pretty much anything within a couple hours of Boston is going to be very urban/suburban and not very rural.
Actually, western Mass did occur to me last night. Something to explore ......

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hill Crest Farm said:
Believe it or not- it is a fixer upper!
Actually, now that I think about it, I believe you :p

After having lived on Cape Cod for 25 years I was in shock when I saw the real estate prices in Oklahoma. Bought a foreclosed on, 100 year old farmhouse on 10 acres for $20K. Now every time I go to visit the Cape I get sticker shock.

Of course I will be selling the house on the Cape but would like to have a little left over to invest .......

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
You can still get really good deal around here, just not right close to the main drag, we bought our 2.7 acres, barn, outbuildings and 1800 farmhouse for 200K. It is on a side road right off the highway - but set-back- I think it was a steal, verrry charming.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hill Crest Farm said:
You can still get really good deal around here, just not right close to the main drag, we bought our 2.7 acres, barn, outbuildings and 1800 farmhouse for 200K. It is on a side road right off the highway - but set-back- I think it was a steal, verrry charming.

I definately want to be off the main drag. I like my peace, quiet and privacy ......

Please let me know if you come across anything? I am planning a trip north later this year.

6,637 Posts
:angel:
Hill Crest Farm said:
a steal? are you smoking crack? I bought my 80 acres, and 900 sq ft house for $49,000 in 1992.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
michiganfarmer said:
a steal? are you smoking crack? I bought my 80 acres, and 900 sq ft house for $49,000 in 1992.
That IS a good deal for that area. It is within communting distance from Boston ..... real estate prices are through the roof.

·
Enjoying Four Seasons
3,107 Posts
simplefarmgirl said:
I love living in NH,, We own 8.5 acres in Alexandria, which I guess is kind of Central NH. I dont think my taxes are bad, I have had worse..I pay 800.00 every 6 mos..We live on a Mtn Rd, not alot of traffic except when the AMC 3 miles above us has an event going on. We raise pigs, cows, rabbits, chickens. There is land across the road from us for sale,, any one buying it will be aware we have a farm and our manure piles whcih dont smell most time , but there will be those days and they will be down wind, would love to see some one else build and have a farm, most every one up here has animals, the man up the rd raises short horns and chickens pigs for his own use, further up is a family who raises goats, down the rd from me are 3 familys who raise pigs, cows and one farm has horses. We are very rural and Boston is only 2 hours away.. I would not want ot live any where else.
I grew up in Danbury ~ I visit there quite often because my parents and old friends are still there. :)

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
michiganfarmer said:
If you saw the place and the area, you might see why so much- I could have moved WAY up North and gotten a real steal, the desirablility of the location makes it so- move this pace 50 miles south and the price would be at least double, I could probably sell here for 300K tomorrow too.
On a side note- we have our business on the main drag- so being close to work was a factor....... Crack? Maybe a Margarita...... :angel:

·
proud GRAMMA
2,261 Posts
This is the most conversation I have heard about little old NH since being on this site,, Its great we make a good topic,,,,,,,Danbury is right next door to me, I have to go thru it to get to New London to get my grain, We have a beautiful lake (Newfound Lake),, Of course thatis built around,, but hey I love my mountain,,, we have abook that runs just on the other side of our road if i want to go swimming plus we have Welton Falls and Sculptured Rocks couple towns over,, Ok bragging alittle about NH,, could pay me tolive any where else.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Donna! How much property? How much are they asking???? :) Maybe my Mom will go in with me.

I love Alexandria. Wonderful part of NH. Please, nobody else move there. *L*

1 - 20 of 29 Posts