New Guy!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kung, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Kung

Kung Administrator Staff Member Supporter

:D

I'm not sure where to post this..but I'm a 'newbie' so please forgive me.

I just found this site and think it's great. I just moved to Arkansas with my wife about 7 months ago. We live on Lake Norfork in northern Arkansas (Elizabeth, near Mountain Home), and own 4.5 acres. I've got A LOT of stuff I want to get done (repairing chicken coops, installing propane, raising some pigs, chickens, a cow, etc.), so you will most definitely be hearing from me. :)

I spent 9 years in the Navy (first as a nuclear reactor operator, then as a network administrator on the USS Enterprise), and I'm now in the Army Reserves as a combat engineer. I also work in tech support for a company that produces software for special education programs in public schools. If anyone has any computer questions, please feel free to ask me; I'd love to help out. God knows I'll be asking enough questions of my own! :D

2. cntrydude

cntrydude Active Member

Welcome, and enjoy!

3. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

On homesteading questions you're in the right place. There are so many knowledgeable people here that are willing and able to give good information. Welcome aboard! :)

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome, and please invite your wife to drop by and check us out. There's sooo much info here! Consider yourself warned-this place is addicting! When you have time, you ought to look in the archives under the old Countryside forum, too.

5. Kung

Thanks. :D Looking forward to posting and finding information and getting to know y'all. :)

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Welcome. You're in the right place for general homesteading questions. The tip to lookthrough the Archives is well worth while too - there is a wealth of information there.

As for computer questions, please look to the "Computer Questions" forum. We can use all the help we can get there. Thanks.

7. Heh. Fat chance of getting my wife to log in here. Matter of fact, fat chance of getting my wife to log on - period. LOL! She's one of those people who thinks PCs are a necessary evil for doing work, and that's about it. But I'll try. I, on the other hand, will probably be here a lot. :):

8. Kung

Oopsie! I guess I messed that up. LOL

9. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

10. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

11. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Welcome! Take your coat off & stay a while... :)

12. Hi Kung,
    It was nice to see your message because I have been looking at real estate on line and I keep coming back to look at the property in your area. I am really interested in how the weather is, the bugs, and the taxes. It looks like such a pretty area and I had almost decided that I was going to move there and rent for a while. Are there many farms there that spray chemicals? I have a problem with the chemicals. Any info you could give me would be great.
    Thanks.
    Starr
    desertmoon@vtc.net

13. Kung

I can most definitely give you that information. I'll post it here and then resend it to your email if you need me to.

As far as the weather goes, it's not bad at all. It all depends upon what you are used to. I spent 7 years in Virginia, and the winters aren't too bad - it might get down to 20 degrees or so a FEW nights a winter, but the rest of the time it's about 30 at the lowest. The summers tend to be around 98-100 at the absolute MOST...last summer was a bit hotter than normal, but not bad at all. Where I live - northern Arkansas - is up in the mountains more, so you find that, except for about 4 to 6 weeks in August-September, it's not all that humid at all. (Even if it was, I live literally right ON Lake Norfork :p so I can just go jump in the lake.)

Bugs, obviously, tend to be directly proportional to the amount of humidity and standing water around, so where I live, it's not too bad at all. I guess WHAT kinds of bugs you want to know about will determine my answer. I can just say that there are FAR fewer bugs here than there are where I came from - although the ones that ARE there are a tad bigger. When you go driving during june bug season, you almost find yourself ducking when they go *doink* against your windshield! :p

Taxes are A LOT cheaper - NOT counting car sales taxes. If you want to buy a car new from the dealership, Arkansas is NOT the place to do it. Car sales tax is around about 9% or so. But property tax is ridiculously cheap. I own 4.5 acres on Lake Norfork, and I pay the kingly sum of $450/year for it. Homeowner's insurance is also pretty cheap. Sales tax on food and the like is just a small bit higher than most places, but it's not too bad.

I did find, however, that car insurance goes up a bit; I think this has to do with the fact that there's a greater likelihood of busting a windshield on a backroad here. :p

As far as spraying chemicals, I can ask my dad, but suffice to say that where I live, there aren't all that many actual farms where you'd grow huge amounts of crops, like there are in Iowa or Illinois. So that should be a non-issue.

If there's any other information you want, let me know and I'll be more than happy to help out. :)

14. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group!

15. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

Welcome! Have a seat and grab a cup of coffee. :)

16. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

WELCOME to our "on-line" home Kung!

Hope you and yours are happy here, as we're sure glad to have ya!

What a terrific goup you've run into! I was, and still am, amazed at the combined knowledge of everyone here.

But what's really great, is they are all happy to share what they've learned along the way.

Once again, Welcome!

Ozarkguy

17. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Welcome

I lived outside of LittleRock about 35 years ago when i was 6 for a couple weeks, dad was gonna work on a cattle ranch for a guy who ultimately ended up in the state pen for awhile but it fell thru, but what i can remember of it it was wet, and cold and a sort of unfriendly place but we werent there for very long..... when we left the roads got closed cause of a while 2 inches of snow.

But anywhere you hang your hat can be home, I just keep returning to Idaho anytime i leave and think i may wanna be somewhere else...I even brought my wife back to the land of her birth... the cultural hub of the universe and she still loves me anyway!

Have fun... dont be afraid of asking any question... nor where you place that question.....to a point..... and show your wife over the countryside family section.....as well as yerself too.

William