New guy with New Mexico questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by luckypabst, May 19, 2005.

1. luckypabst

luckypabst Active Member

Hey y'all, I'm basically new here and have been absorbing what I can.

I'm looking for property but don't have the slightest idea of what to do first! Well, besides looking over the various real estate websites...

I'll be heading to New Mexico in June for a week partly for vacation but mainly to feel out the job and housing markets. I'd like to end up in the Sangres near Taos or Raton. Can anybody point me to a simplified rundown of what to expect for codes and regulations, water rights, mineral rights - all that fun stuff? I don't plan on buying in any city so the relevant counties are Taos and Colfax - maybe there's more "friendly" places in Northern NM/Southern CO?

My goal, for no real reason, is to have 100 acres. I'd like to fool around with alternative housing (I know Taos has good codes for adobe and is open to other unique ideas). I'd like to keep my options open as far as livestock and larger than personal scale farming. I guess Ag zoning would be necessary?

Other things I've been obsessing over are energy projects. Solar is the "hot" thing up that way but I'd like to build a wind generator and have become completely fascinated with methane production.

I figure finding work in the region won't be the easiest thing. I work with metal and there just dosen't seem to be much industry there. My most nagging concern is coming up with a business that will keep me in enough cash to live comfortably - seems to be a recurring theme around here.

Thanks
    Chris

2. MMyers1

MMyers1 Well-Known Member

Texas, Residing in DFW area, working toward North
    If you are going to be in the Taos area, check out:

http://www.earthship.org

The Greater World community is to the NW of Taos across the Rio Grande river. Very interesting, and worth the time to take a tour and talk to the folks there.

Good luck!

Mark

3. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

When you visit Raton, check out Trinidad Co. You might want to visit www.earthmountain.org about the earth mountain education farm. I suggest you contact and visit them, as they do much of what you are into and can give you good answers re inspectors, etc.

4. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Before you do anything you should read a couple of books about the water situation out that way. Read Cadillac Desert by Reisner and Water:The Fate of our Most Precious Resource by De Villiers.

As my dad once told me. Land without water is worthless.

5. luckypabst

luckypabst Active Member

Thanks you guys!

I am definitely going to check out the Earthships, if only for inspiration and ideas. The ones for sale go for a heckuva lot of $$$. Seems to be laid out like a subdivision too, but for Earthships.

I've dutily been looking into the Trinidad area, figured it to be about the same as Raton, only across the border. Was unaware of the earth mountain education farm however. Sounds like something for me!

As far as water goes, I'm not terribly familiar with the local concerns. I am fully aware of the issues concerning the larger desert cities (won't they hurry and burn?). Land without year-round surface water is not terribly attractive to me, partly for basic necessities but I'd like to explore micro-hydro as well. But I guess water now doen't guarantee water in the future either. I do agree with the concept of water being the next gold.

Chris

6. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

Link can not be found.

7. luckypabst

luckypabst Active Member

8. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Really nice people, too.