new guy needs info

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mjollner, Sep 16, 2004.

1. mjollner

mjollner Member

Hey everybody. I'm new to this forum and I was wondering if I could get some help. I was looking for homestead information about several atates. Me and my fiancee will be moving west in a few years after marriage and school. We are looking at The entire midwest such from North Dakota south to Oklahoma and
    also possibly north Maine. We plan to travel to several states in the mean time
    to check-out possible areas during various seasons (winter, summer etc.). Since it will be about four or five years before we can move, we are using theinternet to get info but we figure a better source would be people in these areas. We currently live in central mississippi and I do some homesteading. Our main concerns are land prices and population. We would like to own about one hundred acres (hopefully more) and be in an area without many people. We already commute a long way to work and school so thats not a problem. We just want "elbow room". I have many questions and I hope that y'all can help
    in answering them. Thanks.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Welcome on board first time poster, you might find your info at the archives forum, click on 'countryside' near the top and go down to the 'land' catagory, there are 408 entries waiting for you there. They are a couple of years old but will still give you some ideas to start with.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

100+ acres. Low land prices. Not many people. Long commute to a job.

My suggestion is to visit North Dakota in January.

4. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I really really enjoyed living in the Black Hills area of South Dakota a few years ago for a short while. Just make sure wherever you settle that you find out if there are any land restirctions or zoning. I'd get as far away from any land restrictions as possible....best wishes and welcome!

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Western Oklahoma has some cheap land and lots of room if you don't mind harsh winters and harsh summers :D
    There aren't many trees out here either, but the sky is beautiful at night.

6. tatanka

tatanka Well-Known Member

My husband and I were both born and raised in Alabama and never thought we would ever venture out of the south. Three years ago we got the opportunity to move our family to North Dakota and now we may never go back south again. The winters are long and cold and the summers are like spring and fall in the south with only a few really hot days and there are tons of bugs but we still love it. Our oldest son might go back south when he graduates from college but the other two love it up here. Our mailbox is 2 miles, the nearest neighbor is 6 miles, the nearest small grocery is 30 miles, and the nearest Walmart is 75 miles. You have to be organized to live this far out but it is well worth the time. With the exception of hunting season when the roads are busy and hunters are everywhere we never even see car.....unless we go to town we don't see a vehicle at all. The local school has 93 students K-12. The nearest town has a lumber yard, church, post office, cafe, insurance agent/banker, and auto garage. That's it! Wide open spaces, few neighbors, beautiful views, sunrises, and sunsets.

Marla

7. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

nothing wrong with eastern oklahoma either - except that you're close to slick willie country

8. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

:haha: Joan, I'm moving TO slick willie country... but that's what good fences and shotguns are for! :haha:

9. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Joan and Easy -- unless ya'll are talking about New York ... you are wrong about Slick Willie -- I live in Arkansas -- people here no longer much claim Willie...well those of us outside the city limit of Little Rock anyway. :rolleyes:

mjollner - you have the right idea with visiting different areas over the next 4-5 years until you find "your" place. On any homesteading forum mostly what you are going to get, as you can probably tell, is people bragging on their part of the country and making fun of another part of the country. Only you and your girl/boyfriend will know which place is right for ya'll. You might want to mail request to small town Chambers of Commerce -- they will send you infor on their area. Just pick a state - point your finger at a small town -- make a call for the address or if your on a really tight budget just address an envelope to President,
    Chamber of Commerce
    Anytown, Any State, USA

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Marlene

10. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

MarleneS, I know you are right. We lived there when Slick Willie was originally elected. Neither my mom or I voted for him, but many of her friends did. After the Monica incident, they were all saying "I did NOT vote for him!". Yeah, right! :haha: It was too painful for any good ole So. Baptist to admit they had been so wrong about him. (I can say that, 'cause I'm So. Baptist.)