Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at a Grt Pryness puppy this weekend. Last of the litter, male, 10 weeks old. Has been around the farm since birth so use to animals. My understanding is that the litter has been kept in the barn since birth.

My wife is horrified that I want to keep this dog outside, most if not all the time. He will be with out other 12 yo GP mix. Our weather is cool and wet (Typical PNW weather). I would provide some shelter even though our current dog could care less for shelter.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
So, he is going to guard livestock? Then he needs to be with the livestock. This isn’t the same as putting a dog on a five foot chain and leaving him out all day and night. He will have the company of the other dog as well as the livestock. As long as he is bonded to the livestock he will be happy to be with them. Give him a stall in the barn as he is familiar with this. Protect him from your livestock by having a fence between him and them when you are not there to supervise. See the thread, Made My Choice… on the Guard Dog forum.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My family and I have a tendency to get overprotective of our animals; however, we leave our great Pyrenees outside all day and night. She really isn't happy inside.

·
Registered
527 Posts
main thing with a pup is to make sure the animals it is to guard later don't beat the crap out of it. My dairy goats would beat a pup to a pulp if it was put in with them right away. I have a pen attached to their run-in and let pups mature with the animals but with fence in between. My older dogs rarely go in. Younger always have a good warm shelter with deep bedding.

·
Premium Member
9,095 Posts
GPs like being outside. They get overheated if they are kept too warm. They prefer the cold.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Remember though, it is a puppy, make sure it has good shelter, out of the wind, good bedding, all that. If it gets really cold make sure your pup has a safe source of heat. Feed him well, make sure he's got open water. Ten weeks is pretty young for winter temperatures. Otherwise, I think the advice you have gotten seems good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Remember though, it is a puppy, make sure it has good shelter, out of the wind, good bedding, all that. If it gets really cold make sure your pup has a safe source of heat. Feed him well, make sure he's got open water. Ten weeks is pretty young for winter temperatures. Otherwise, I think the advice you have gotten seems good.
:thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts