New goats - ugh!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Sep 10, 2005.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

We were so excited to get our new lamancha girls last Friday (we have 6 boer does and are on a waiting list for a buckling yet). But it's been nothing but a nightmare! The guy ran a herd of 95 mostly lamancha milkers which seemed to be some nice healthy looking does. We were able to pick our girls from a group of spring doelings of about 20. We've had nothing but sick goats since we got home! First we had shipping fever or pneumonia, what ever it was, as we had thick snot the next morning and still have a cough, but we didn't have a fever. Then they had goop coming out of their ears, which I've found out happens with lamanchas (????). So we cleaned the ears out as Fiasco Farms site recommended. NOW we've got pinkeye and cowpie poop, so seeing we dewormed them 2 days ago, we've gone to treating for cocci too. I'm so glad I've got these girls quarantined and hope we or the darn flies don't carry all this crap over to my boers. They still like to eat and we take them out for a walk every evening to browse as their pen has really nasty grass from our German Shepherds running in it all summer. So far these girls are walking pharmacy's! They've had 3 days Nuflor, 2 days Goat Serum, 3 days Probiotics, 2 days of oral B vitamins, Ivermectin, and now Terramycin eye stuff and Sulmet. We've never seen goats get this many problems like this. Ugh.

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Bless your heart....They can be very frustrating. Mine are finally all healthy, hopefully your will be too soon. When mine were getting sick I really thought about selling everything and sticking with chickens. This too shall pass.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

It's actually very common. Why questions are answered with...worm the goats the weekend after you get them, the stress of the move causes worms that were previously inactive in the goat at her old farm to multiply rapidly. Worms are instincitive only, they know when the system is stressed they can suck the most blood and cause the most damage. So then you have stressed an anemic goats, which than get nusiance disease, pinkeye, ringworm and soremouth. Further stressed from all this and the heat and humidity, not a good time to trailer goats in inclosed trailers or with their heads blowing in the wind, the normal pasturella that is found in every goats nose, overgrows, you have shipping fever!

You didn't buy sick goats. If you had purchased in the winter or spring, likely none of this would have happend, well except worms in the spring :) When you purchase stock you have to use prevention, because it is soo time consuming and costly to treat disease. All incoming stock is quaranteened here, they are wormed, tested, feet trimmed, vaccinated, put on Albon, because not only does it treat cocci but it also keeps bacterial pnemonia at bay. If I was purchasing does this time of the year they would go on Tetracycline for 5 days along with the Albon, and vaccinated for Pasturella. They would be clean, tested and fecaled before they would gain entrance into the main barn. This information should have came from the person you bought the goats from. Sad that folks purchase stock from breeders who do not give any after or in this case even before care! Vicki

4. dbarjacres

Thanks for the advice Vicki. Glad we're doing right with having them quaranteened at least and we take care of them last every day and then go in to take our evening showers. I figured they'd have worms as they are spring babies and were only wormed once he said and they were only an acre paddock. But after they were sick the next day with the snots I'd questioned him and he said he figrued everyone knew to give some penicillan for a couple days to new goats. We did start them yesterday on the feed thru crumbles and think we'll let them finish out that whole bag by themselves before they go in with the boer girls.

Does anyone use the Goat Serum stuff? we used it on the last two boer doelings we'd purchased and they stayed completely healthy and are super healthy little does.

5. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

do you have somewhere other than the pen the dogs were in all summer to put them? moving them from there may help a little, as well.

6. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your goats but I learned a lot about keeping goats healthy from reading your post. I hope they are better soon.

Rick

7. dbarjacres

okgoatgal, what is moving the goats from a 1/4 acre grass cattle panel pen where the dogs just happened to be turned out daily gonna do? curious.

To treat pink eye, we've been putting Terramycin eye ointment in their eyes 2x a day and keeping the face clean with a warm paper towel.

8. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

I have pink eye here and I treat with LA 200 subQ and I know I will get alot of moans but we also put a drop of it in her eyes. I was told to do this by numerous goat people. Please no bashing. She has a terrible case of it and I am doing my best to treat it.
    Dawn

9. dbarjacres

redcedar, shouldn't hear any moans! That was another idea, and probably a lot cheaper one (I can just imagine what this little tube is gonna cost from the vet!). We did read many sites and a lot mentioned the drop in the eye. The injections seem to be reserved for real bad cases and these girls seem not too bad (yet!). I moaned when I saw the "old timer" cure for pinkeye - throw a handful of salt in the eyes. Dang, that's gotta hurt!

10. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

Why sub-Q Red Cedar? Usually put oxytetracycline IM, for other things.

11. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

well, you said the grass was nasty-it was just a thought that maybe they would be a little quicker to recover if they weren't living in dog poo, but i see now that you take them out to browse every day for a little while.

12. redcedarfarm

redcedarfarm Active Member

I give most all of my injections sub Q.
    Dawn