New goats(and question)

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rowdy, May 4, 2006.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Well, I now have two new goats, both 75% boer. One is 25% Spanish, the other one the lady could not remember, I think maybe nubian, but I am not sure.

[​IMG]
    Here is the one that I'm not sure on the breed of the 25%

Different angle

[​IMG]

Here is their new home until I get finished fencing (and cross-fencing) the back four acres.

=[​IMG]

Now for a question

Both of them have these spots on their knees. It just looks like a calloused place where they have been kneeling, but want to be sure. It is normal, right? (hoping, lol)
    [​IMG]

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

yep just where they kneel down, nothing to worry about,
    looks like you have Goaty Heaven will all that vegitation growing for them to eat,
    are they both does?
    at the 75% mark its REALLY hard to tell what other blood was used along with the boer because the Boer chericteristics are VERY strong, i would hazard a guess that she could be a Nubian cross only because that is a very common cross, or she could also have spanish in her, are they registerd at 75%? if they are and you breed to a pure bred Boer buck you can register them even higher and i think thats almost to American full blood not sure. eather way you have some very nice animals there

3. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Yes, they are both does, and according to their teeth between one and two years old.

No, they are not registered, sadly. The woman who sold them too me treated them pretty much like pets, and when they kept getting out, her neighbor threatened to shoot them. To add to it he put out deer feeders near his fence line to try to lure them over so he could, so she finally sold to me.

I am going to borrow a buck pretty soon (Well, actually, I'm going to take the girls to the buck.) He is full blood and registered, with some enoblements as well. I don't need all that for my purposes, but it is a friend's buck, and therefore free.

I'm going to build my herd up to eat some brush, and then try to sell some kids for meat for side money.