New goater?!?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mennonite girl, May 26, 2006.

1. mennonite girl

mennonite girl Active Member

Hey All! I just got my Nubian goat. She is about a year old and just had twins (which both died) so I'm milking her. Now what do I do that I have her? I've never had a goat before. What should I feed her? Can I drink the milk strait from her do I do anything to it?? I need lots of advice. I've never even seen a goat (expect for in magazines) until now. Please help.

Katie

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I feed alfalfa pellets and sweetlix caprine magnamilk loose mineral. I throw them a flake of hay now and then too - for roughage.

Now that you have her - LOVE her! And keep milking her - twice a day if you enjoy the milk. Just filter the milk, pour it into jars, and let them cool in the freezer. Good stuff.

I'm sure there are some great books out there about goats - and find a goat lady nearby for emergencies.

niki

3. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

make sure you milk her till her teets are limp and you cant get anymore, then get a funnel and a strainer or a thin cotton shirt and strain through that and into a jar or bottel with a sealable lid,(goats milk keeps better in glass than plastic)either is ok as long as you intend to drink it right away or freeze it.you can add one part water to three parts milk if it is to rich or thick for your tastes.you can also make icecream which i think is better than dairy because it is so thik and rich,(walmart has electric icecream makers for about $16.00)do not follow dairy icecream recipe it is different, i already made that mistake, also i shake fresh butter twice aweek, we are going to try cheese soon.as for feeding,watch grazing too much as they do get bloated with gas, but there are remedies for that you can get ahold of me later if you need them. we feed a high protien blend of oats, cracked corn,alfalfa pellets, grain and mollassess, but there are many different ideas on feeding milkers,you can go to your local feed store and ask for their recomendation, she will need feeding hay, and it is usually not a good idea to feed grain or anything besides hay untill she is in the milk stall,(it keeps her busy while you milk.)you may want to get a salt and mineral lick,however my milker hates both, so that is your preference.VERY IMPORTANT>>>if you milk at 7am then also milk at 7pm and continue at the same time every 12 hours or you will lose production and your goat will be very uncomfortable waiting for you,it is ok to add extra milkings, as sometimes this raises production. good luck to you and if there is anything else you need feel free to contact me.

4. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

You will want to get a companion for her since her kids died. Goats are miserable if kept single. Whether to pastuerize the milk or not is a personal choice, some folks do, some don't. At the very least filter the milk, always use a clean bucket+clean hands, and clean the udder+teats w/wipies or a washcloth dipped in an udder wash solution. You will need to milk her everyday now, twice a day(@12 hrs. apart).
    We feed grain twice a day, the amount depends on the individual. Baking soda and sweetlix minerals is available free choice at all times, as well as hay and water. Good luck with your girl.

5. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Since you are new to goats, and especially if there has been no disease testing done on her, I would strongly recommend that you begin with pasteurizing milk. When you know a lot more, much later, you can weigh continuing to do that. It's easy enough. Using a milk filter, filter the milk into a pan. Either sit your pan into a larger pan with water in it, or use a double boiler. Heat to 165, stir, and remove promptly from heat. Sit the pan in a sink of ice water and stir occassionally til you get it in the 60-80 degree range. Pour it up in a pitcher and stick in the freezer for an hour to chill the rest of the way. Refrigerate and enjoy.
    mary