Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we bought two Goats. One Boer female that has not yet kidded or been bred for $60, and one Crossbred Female that has kidded, was since "exposed" but her udder is dry at present for $55. The crossbred Goat is white with a dark Auburn colored neck from the shoulders up, looks like nubian crossed with something :shrug:
Anyway, will it hurt them to eat 13 % all stock sweet feed and good Alfalfa hay? What type minerals are recommended for non-lactating Goats? Their health and condition seems reasonable, but they are not fat. Their hair coats are not rough, but they are not sleek and shiny either. They seem perky and inquisitive.
Also, will it hurt the goats or the calves if they are temporarily rooming with some 200 pound weaned dairy calves?

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
What color is your Boer doe?? The crossbred doe your described is a Boer too. The white body with aubern neck and head is the exact description of a Boer.
The sweet feed isn't my preferred feed for goats, but it won't hurt them as long as their not getting too much. A Couple handfuls a day is plenty if they are getting good hay. The alfalfa hay is very good for them....but be careful because non-lactating Boers tend to get fat on alfalfa..... :)
They will do fine temporarily housed with weaned calves. Do you have any areas they can browse in??
A good loose mineral is needed for nonlactating and lactating goats. I use a high-copper cattle mineral.

·
Retired Coastie
5,077 Posts
Up North, I feed 14% dairy/cattle pellets bought in bulk through my local Co-op. Same blended pellets that I feed to large and small steers. $9.50 per hundered if you bring your own bags or drums. Another advantage the pellets are to large for the chickens to swallow so they just leave them alone.....Goats in milk are a different story as you know, they get a blend of barley, BOSS, beet pulp, cracked corn and more. Young kids who I'm trying to add weight to also receive the same high class mixture the milkers get. I also use just the standard loose mineral mixture, that way once again, all animals win.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Congrats on your goats! be careful with the sweetfeed, feeding way too much will bloat and kill. I use a dry whole oats and only for my milkers and then a measured amount. Use loose minerals, like the advice given, high copper, never sheep minerals as they are specifically low copper. Check the parasite status of the goats, have the vet do a fecal and then worm accordingly, worms and cocci can make them very unthrifty and ill.

And yes, a red head, white body is a traditional Boer color. Even part Boer are usually that color :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Our goats are fed a handful a day of this mixture: Whole oats, alfalfa pellets, and beet pulp, mixed equally. We sprinkle a little boss in with it too, but not much.
Alfalfa/grass hay free choice.

They look great and are quite active.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts