New Goat Owners-Sticky??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by HappyFarmer, Nov 15, 2006.

1. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

I was just here looking at the sticky's at the top of the page. I see one there for emergencies that Vickie posted.

I was wondering if a new sticky could be created for normal goat symptoms? Perhaps basic care could be included, too. It could be a good guide and maybe save some goats & new goat owners some grief.

Any thoughts on this? Yeas or Nays?

HF

2. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

i havent been on homesteading too long so i dont know what a sticky is--any explanations

3. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

It's a post that stays at the top of the messages & comes up as the first everytime you log on. It doesn't scroll down with time. I don't know how to do one - maybe a moderator would have to do it.

I just thought some would find it useful since it would be visible, a quick reference for normal or average.

I was thinking things like normal temps, wormer classes/types/uses, housing minimums, vaccination schedules, perhaps reference links, ect.
    A guide per se.
    HF

4. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

"Normal Goat Symptoms"

There are none. That's why goats are so tricky. Too many things determine behavior. Breed for one. My lamanchas do not act like my nubians, and my nubians don't act like my alpines. Individual temperment. Some goats are aggressive, some are quiet. You have to get to know each of your own goats so well that you can determine if they are sick or not - I have goats that hang back and won't eat first - that's just the way they are. Someone else may think that behavior indicates they're sick. I have one that is pretty stiff when she gets up - but looking at her, you wouldn't know she's 10. She's old and it's cold - she's not sick. Goats also have a tendency to look "fine" until they are deathly ill. They don't show any symptoms in the early stages of many serious diseases.

That's the best new owner advice I can give - spend enough time observing your own goats so you know what their unique 'normal' behavior is.