New Fullblood Boer buck here!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

We brought our new guy home last night. He is really nice. I still have to get a pic of him. He is only 6 months old so I hope he gets the job done. He doesn't know what to do with these does. He is acting bucky.....peeing all over himself, flicking his tongue in the air and grunting at the does. However, my Nubian is such a ---- and won't hardly let him even look at another doe. I'd swear she's in heat but instead of him breeding her, he's slamming into her side and pushing her like a bulldozer. She seems to like the attention but I'd like to see him try to breed someone so I'd know he was getting the job done. I think she is driving him nuts b/c she won't leave him alone. Coul he be a bit to young? If so, hopefully, he'll get it figured out within the next couple of months.

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Congrats! No he is not too young. He is just adjusting to his new home. I used my Boer when he was 4 months so give him a chance. The goats are just jousting for position right now, new goat in the herd and all even though he is a male.

How do you have them penned? All together? Just the doe in heat with him? What's the set up?

3. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Congrats on your new buck. Hope he does a great job making new babies for the herd. I agree with Tex he isn't to young to do his job. I have known little bucks to get the job done at 3 months. They know how to hit it.. LOL.. I didn't mean for it to sound dirty just then.. Forgive Me.

Good Luck.

4. Milk n' Honey

He is in with 9 does but I believe a couple of them are already bred by the buck we lost and will be due within a month?? That is what we are hoping anyway. So, he'd have 7 does to take care of. All the younger does, that we don't want bred for another couple of months, are in a bordering pasture. We'd like to see them get a bit larger first. The way he is acting, I'd say he's probably already bred one or two of them and I just haven't seen it. Half or more of them are sticking to him like glue and are flagging like crazy. I really wouldn't have expected that many to be in heat at once but it sure seems like it. Kinda scary when I think about kidding season!

5. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Congrats on your new boy! He's old enough - I have twins in my barn that were sired by a 10 week old Nigerian Dwarf. :cool:

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Does often cycle together when influenced by the odor of a buck, that is what I have experienced...they are kind of triggered by a buck being around. Be as diligent as you can be marking your calendar as you note each doe flagging and being in love with that buck. Later you will be very glad you did. It is hard to recall these things later and you will want to be present when the kids are born....145 - 155 days from conception. I would be a bit leary of having him in with does who are so close to kidding...just me....I like to keep my does that are due to kid away from any possibly injury that could occur from being bashed from other goats....keep an eye on things. i don't know your situation, how big your pens are, how you are set up. I am just very protective of my pregnant mommas, don't want any preterm labor. :)

7. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

I've never heard of "tail feathers" on a goat, but it sounds cute!

8. Milk n' Honey

HaHaHa....my own words not a real term...LOL! I guess they aren't birds, are they? hehehehe