New from Virginia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sonya123, Dec 13, 2016.

1. sonya123

sonya123 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!
    We just started homesteading/farming this year. We sort of retired early from our city jobs in Florida and bought a large farm in the Virginia mountains. Love it here so far, but it's been a challenge trying to repair the main house , clear the barns, get the weeds growing in the pasture down and starting to get livestock. So far we have 8 goats, and a horse that belongs to someone else but is in our pasture most of the time. We also have a couple of dogs and are getting some sheep next. Chickens will follow in the spring. We are new to most of this ( did have chickens and a garden in the city ) so the learning curve is large. I hope to get a lot of good info on this site.

Sonya

Jollyhomestead likes this.
  2. Clayjunky

Clayjunky Well-Known Member

Hi Sonya. I'm new here too and leaving the Destin, FL area heading to the TN mountains. Good luck on your journey and I look forward to reading about your progress.

Steve

sonya123 likes this.

3. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Welcome Sonya, I'm in Virginia too, i.e. central south part. Was a city girl myself before; so learning to tend a farm was indeed challenging. I hope you enjoy your experiences as much as I have.

Do keep us posted as to your progress.

sonya123 likes this.
  4. sonya123

sonya123 Well-Known Member

I love living in Virginia so far. I did grew up in a more rural area and moved to Florida after I grew up. So I haven't always lived in a city. My aunt had a farm I helped on as a kid. But, there is a ton of stuff I forgot, never did as a kid, or don't do well ( like milk a cow...) so yeah , lots of challenges.

It is freezing here today!

CountryMom22 likes this.
  5. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

Welcome home!

6. Blueridgeviews

Blueridgeviews Well-Known Member

Welcome Sonya,

We retired and bought a farm in the VA mountains also. We love the lifestyle, and it keeps us fit and healthy -- we figure last great adventure before decrepitude slips in.

VA is great for farms property-tax wise. Be sure to check out any property tax farm credits you can be getting in your county. Also VA has programs that will help you with fencing and water costs.
    What part of VA are you in?

7. CountryMom22

CountryMom22 Well-Known Member

Welcome Sonya! We love to see new faces here. Sounds like you have a plan in place. I'd love to hear about updates on your journey into homesteading!

8. Vahomesteaders

Vahomesteaders Well-Known Member

Welcom. Va here too. What part of va are y'all in?

9. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

Wva here welcome