Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Starting my homestead from scratch
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all glad to be here my name is Matt and I'm new to homesteading. I bought a house about a year ago and at the beggining of this year, I started my homestead on my property I have about a third of an acre and want to get the most out of it that I can. I already have a small garden going and i have chickens who within the next week or so should be starting to lay eggs. I also have ducks and rabbits. The rabbits will be used for meat once they gt old enough to breed out and the ducks are a good source of eggs as well as breeding out for meat birds since we have a mixture of pekin and runners. I also have composting going and am hopefull to start bees next year. Any advice would be appreciated and if anyone is interested in seeing whats going on around my homestead so you could possibly help a little more you can check it out at Homesteading Blog | The Beginers Homestead. Thanks for whatever info and advice anyone can give and i will be happy to share my own experiances as well to help as much as possible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi and welcome - I'm new too. Hope the bugs arent eating too much of your crop - I have Japanese Beetles eating my Baby's Breath and Gummy Stem on my Cucumbers :( so, guess my next step is to plan my fall/winter garden as we have a greenhouse this year. Hoping to get lots of Broccoli! Good luck with your homestead!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and I havent had difficulty with japanese bettles but my wifes ducks do like to get into the garden and they did destroy a squash plant. and they ate alot of my corn right off the cob as it was growing on the vine. I hope all works out for you with your fall crop i have actually started my seeds for my fall crop already trying to get a head start on it so the seeds are ready to go outside as soon as the time comes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That it has been thankfully its cooling off a little this week so it hasnt been too bad getting some things caught up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts