new fencing plans

Discussion in 'Goats' started by trob1, Jun 28, 2006.

1. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

The barn has been done for a couple months now and the fencing plan is underway. We are getting 2 bids and I can't wait till it is done. What do yall think.

[​IMG]

2. Wingdo

Wingdo Well-Known Member Supporter

You might consider doubling up on the buck/doe firelds... about 10' between them. If the bucks smell the does in heat, they will kill themselves to get to the does... quite liiterally!!

Wing

3. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Wow! So far I havent had that problem with my pygmy bucks. They are side by side and separated by steel combo panels with Tpost every 4 foot. I plan on using the steel panels to separte them again. One of the does came in heat a few days ago and they stayed glued to the fence spitting and sputtering and head butting each other. If I notice a problem I will have do something but I wonder if 10' would do much for the smell.

4. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

I like it but I would add a few gates. I like to get anywhere from anywhere with out going around. Especially if I need tpo get the truck in

5. goatedintoit

goatedintoit Truly Gems ADGA Nubians

Wow, that looks great. I'm still figuring on where to put the barn and how to separate the bucks. (don't have a buck yet)

6. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

we are putting lots of gates but I didnt put them in till we decide where they are going.

7. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I hope you are putting up a line or two of electric fence to keep them off the real fence. I put up my galvanized fencing thinking it would be fine. With the goats rubbing against it constantly though, I've had the fence braking at points and also stretching where they can get underneath it.

8. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Galvanized fencing wont hold up well to goats. The fencing needs to be really strong horse or goat fencing. The bucks will have steel panels between them and the does. I plan on putting up the strongest fencing I can find. Also if you have large goats it helps to put the post on the outside of the pen.