new family member want stop crying

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by romancemelisa, Oct 7, 2004.

1. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

well when we brought sam home from texas (sam is a hound dog) we thought we were giving him a better life, he was mal nurished, covered in gnats and if he had one flea he had a million, ha had never slept indoors now he does on a bed. what a life! except he has been home with us for 5 days and he cries all the time, he is the boy's pet and they love on him when there here, i'am not a petter and he wants to be petted all the time, we have another dog and they get along fine, i know he is missing the other animals in texas and is homesick, my guestion is how long till he stops crying? i'am about to pull my hair out, he follows me every where, even to the bathroom.

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

I don't have any "fixes" but if he's still a puppy, maybe a hot water bottle and a heart beat replicator (clock or baby thing) could be put where he sleeps for comfort. also, is there anything with the smell of his old home? Being a hound, I think they have sensitive noses and may be comforted with an old home smell.

Just my ideas.

Angie

3. romancemelisa

angie, i'm sorry he is three years old, what could i bring from the country that would make him feel better, maybe a shirt from his previous owner? thank-you for any suggestions. lisa s.

4. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

5. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

My answer would be to love the poor pooch up until he feels settled. I had a pug adopt me about four months ago and she was a basket case...always underfoot, trying to sleep on top of me, etc. I made her a doggie bed right next to my bed and during the day I gave her tons of affection. She is now so secure and sure of her place in the home. Love goes a long way.

6. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

A shirt from the previous owner is an excellent idea. Hound dogs use sense of smell as a lifeline. If he was an outside dog do you have the ability to let him outside for part of the day???/ He should calm down in a few more days. Let him follow you around and hug him, he feels like a lost little soul....It could be worse...he and the other dogs could fight.

7. romancemelisa

how true, he even gets along with the cat, i leave the back door open so he can come in and out as he pleases, because if i shut the door, he howls so loud he could wake the neighbors

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

from old home -
    a shirt, blanket, something of that nature.

AngieM2

9. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that your new friend is VERY needy right now and it will get better. Let him follow you around even if it drives you crazy. Pet him when you have a minute and talk, talk, talk to him.

Our Goldie came from a shelter, abused, starved and neglected. It took a lot of time, talk and petting before he stopped being "strange". In fact, he still is strange but it's manageable.

10. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

What kind of hound doggie is he?

Many of the scent hounds are very prone to separation anxiety. They're also exceptionally social and independent creature --- if you think about what they're originally bred to do (hunt and work in groups, chasing down various critters), it might help you see why the scent hounds are even more social than a lot of other breeds.

It's really good you have him in the house --- hounds do better that way, unless they have a lot of friends outside. :haha:

He also just needs some time to settle in.

And, if he also has separation anxiety, the best thing you all can do is IGNORE IT! Tell your kids to never make a big deal out of leaving and never make a big deal about coming back home.

As for you, :D , he'll probably keep following you around and pestering you no end til he's settled in. Soon enough, he'll prefer his bed to following on your heels all the time.

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Just make sure that he knows that he is very Welcome into the Pack.He will settle down.

big rockpile

12. romancemelisa

thanks everyone for the advice, iwas starting to wonder if we had made a mistake. will pick him home something from his home, this weekend.

13. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Hounds need a lot of continuity in their lives and they aren't fond of change. When he starts thinking that he is home, he'll be just wonderful. Do get the t-shirt or some momento of his old home but try and line him up with some special things that make him think his new home is terrific, maybe a new toy. I usually give older dogs that are struggling to adapt and little teddy bear or something similar and stay firm on a routine. Right now, he is going to follow you everywhere cause he thinks you are his lifeline. Once he realizes you aren't going to desert him, he'll be fine. Three is a good age for hounds, they tend to be slow maturing so his mind should be settled enough to put some training into him. Good luck with hm and enjoy the hound experience, every day is a new adventure.

14. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like he needs a job.. Get him a ball that you can silde treats or peanut butter into...(It will give him something to DO) or find a job for him.. We had a hound that was like this.. When my son was at school--Bud would walk around smelling and cry/whine.. I got a pair of worn socks from ds, tucked a tennis ball in side one of them and tie the top up. When ever it was time to go to school. We made a routine of son leaving and giving him the sock/ball. When he got home the ball/sock was tossed a few times and then put up. After two weeks, when it was time for ds to arrive home Bud would run and fetch that sock and walk the floor.. He lived to the ripe old age of 16yrs old and was the best dog a boy could want... Take time to reassure him that the boys will return.. after a few weeks of repeated routine he will be better..