new dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kath2003, Jan 9, 2004.

1. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Good morning, Can someone please give me some advice on how to stop a new 7 month old puppy from peeing on the corners of our walls and on the brick wall in our kitchen? We got him yesterday from the shelter and he is very good. He listens very well, he loves my children, he isn't even afraid of my husbands wheelchair. Most dogs are,at first anyways.I think he will be just fine here except for that one problem. The paper work said he is house broken, no poop so far, thats outside. Could he just be marking his new home? Whatever his reason he needs to stop. Thanks for any help!!! :no: :no:

2. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Take him out EVERY HOUR. (OR LEAVE him out!) :) "Housebroken.. suuuuuuure". Good luck. And pop his butt or something when he does that.. okay.. not best idea.. BUT you should dedicate a day or two to STARING AT THE DOG to catch him just before the 'act'. THen take him outside and praise when he goes in the right place.

Become alpha dog.

3. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

Biggest mistake new dog owners make is let the pup have free reign of the house. Watch him, and when you cannot watch him, crate him. A crate can be you and your dogs best friend. Dogs are denning animals and will strongly avoid going potty where they sleep.
    After he is completely housetrained you can use the crate when company comes over and you dont really want the dog underfoot. Just leave the door open and usually the dog will slepp there just cause he feels that is his "safe" spot.
    Alice (who raises and shows afghan hounds)

4. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

Go to your nearest pet store or Wal-mart and get "OUT" or what ever brand of Order and Stain remover they have. Ask the sales people at the pet store.
    This behavior is unacceptable and he is marking his territory. ok outside but not in the house! you must have had a dog or cat in there before or someone before you did.

This odor remover will remove any smells they smell and should stop them from urinating there again. I don't scold...I take the dog outside, and come back in and clean up the mess, then spray the area. The dog will soon forget.

The dog is getting used to his new home and new rules and new smells. To punish him for behavior that is normal I think would be ashame, being new to this family and all.

The order remover isn't expensive, try that first. I use it all the time when training/house breaking puppies for their new homes.

5. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, great ideas. We do have 2 indoor cats. We did have a dog a while ago that was killed but he stayed outside!

6. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

Alice is right. Every dog nees a safe spot that belongs just to him. Get a crate that will fit him when he is full grown. Make it comfortable, and feed and water him in the crate. Take him out of the crate regularly, outside to potty (telling him "hurry up" or whatever so he'll learn what to do), then play with him for a while. When you can't watch him, put him in his crate. The key is to be proactive and prevent "accidents" rather than reacting to them and punishing your dog. A year ago I got a german shepherd puppy--the first dog I've ever known or been around for more than a few minutes. Crate training her this way, she came to learn that it's not punishment to be in her house. She sleeps in there at night (with the door open), and I put her in there when company comes and we don't want her underfoot.