New Doeling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by joken, Aug 29, 2006.

1. joken

joken Well-Known Member

I am getting a Boer doeling thats just been weaned at a little over 3months. She will join my three other girls age 2yrs, 1yr and 6 months. Will this be a traumatic ordeal for the little girl? I have always got goats in pairs before. Should I put her right in with the others? I know the breeder and am not concerned about disease. Thanks, Ken

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if your not concernd about disease then put her in, but there will be some head butting goin on and being small she will loose and be on the bottome of the pecking order

what you could try is takeing your other does out and putting the new doeling in the main pen for a few days, then ad the youngest doe and a few days later ad the next and so on,

but eather way you do it she is going to bet beat up a bit, just let them take care of the buisness of working out who is who and watch to be sure she doesnt get hurt bad, things will settle down

3. Muskrat

Muskrat Well-Known Member

You might try putting everyone up overnight without food. Make sure they've missed at least enough so that they're hungry in the morning.

Put food in the pen. Let the newbie go in first and begin eating. As soon as she's taken the edge off her hunger, let the least dominant of the others go in with her. The food will hold her interest, the newbie can avoid her and won't be as likely to make an issue over the food because she's already somewhat satisfied her hunger.

Repeat with the next on the hierarchy, each time giving the lower-ranking goat the opportunity to eat some before letting the next in.

By the time the queen is allowed in the pen, she'll have realized the others are eating without her and she'll head for the food. The newbie's smell will be around, the others will still be eating, so they aren't paying particular attention. Because she has been able to eat, the newbie won't be forced to challenge the others just because she's hungry and they haven't let her eat.

Keep an eye on them. If there's friction, repeat a couple of times. Removing the competition for food and not having the newbie as the intruder seems to work for me. It works better with a larger flock, but seems to be the best method I've found.

You might give it a try.