New Doeling!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gryndlgoat, Mar 24, 2006.

1. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Yep- Taffy finally went into labor. We have a nice little girl- mostly white with a black strip down her back and badger markings on her face. Mama has the HUGEST udder, absolutely leaking milk. Baby has made good use of it already. Will post pix later.

And I think it is shameful that some lowlife hacker finds it funny to destroy other people's enjoyment (and the moderator's hard work) and ruin our forum. Four pickup loads of goat poo on him!

2. Loda Farm

Loda Farm Well-Known Member

:bouncy: Congrats! I myself just had a new Myotonic Buckling born this morning. My first on our farm. I will try to post his pic on a different thread.

What kind of goats do you have?

Laura
    www.lodafarms.bravehost.com

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

If she's a dairy goat, you'll want to go ahead and milk her out, and keep her milked twice a day. One doeling won't be able to keep all that milk drank! And not milking her could lead to problems.
    Congratulations on a doe.
    mary

4. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations on the doeling. I agree that you should milk out what the baby doesn't eat. I like to freeze the extra colostrum to have on hand for bottle babies.

5. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Already milked Mom out a lot and colostrum is in the freezer. Taffy was really good about letting me milk her- I was surprised because I have never milked her and this is her second freshening. She just stood and let me at it (of course she was involved in spit-polishing the new baby). I guess I have gotten better at milking than I was as a first-timer last year!

I will definitely be milking her out- thanks for the suggestions, all! I don't want her getting mastitis, and her milk seems to be really tasty, even fresh from the udder in colostrum-form (yes, I just had to try it).

Our does look like they are are mixed mostly-dairy breeds (crosses of maybe Saanen or Nubian, Toggenburg, maybe a little pygmy thrown in since none of them are much over 100 lbs). Our buck is a Toggenburg.

6. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS! Are you going to be keeping the little girl? She sounds adorable. Good luck with her and her mama. Bye.

7. crowinghen

crowinghen Well-Known Member

You are smart to be milking her- I didn't realize how a single kid prefers one teat, and it has been difficult to get my doe's udder to even out- but we're making progress. She's also a mix, mostly Nubian some tog.

Susie