Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two nights ago we brought home this sweetie pie:

We already have two wethers that are a bit older than her.
Investigating:

Well they hate her. One more than the other though. I'm feeling really bad for her. They batter her constantly. I've been separating them at night and leaving them together during the day. They seem to be better if i'm not there. Is she always going to be the outcast? Is three a bad number?

And an example of how most of my photos turn out!
:rolleyes:

Any ideas?
Thanks,
MB

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
My crew just settled down after the same scenario. They were just awful to the newbie who arrived in mid-June. I kept them separated at night to give him a break, and did some supervising the first week. After a few weeks, everything shook out and they're getting along just fine.

For the time being, our new kid is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. Not sure how long that will last since he's starting to become their equal in size and finally starting to shove back. :hobbyhors

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
They don't know she's their sister, how would they? All they know is that this new doe has entered the herd and is smaller and weaker than they are, so they can dominate her.

And I'll tell you something about wethers: they're a pain in the butt! I won't own one. Wethers and dry yearling does both have nothing at all to do with their time but make you miserable and cause mischief, and the wethers liek to hog the food and boss weaker animals around, even though the others may be does who can actually produce milk one day, while the wethers are all but useless. I just don't have the patience to keep wethers. Bucks focus on sex and protecting the herd, does focus on mothering or lactating and herd order, kids focus on growing and playing, but wethers have nothing to do, no job but troublemaking.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I personally like my wethers. They seem to be the most laid back, submissive, and least-trouble making of all my goats.

Anywho, the constant bossing around of the doeling is just what goats do. They're putting her in her place. Once they get used to her they'll stop bossing her. One goat in the herd, usually a doe, will assume the leader status. But your herd will never get along fully. There will always be fights, butts, etc... that's just how it is with goats. My queen is avoided by all other goats besides her daughters... Any other goat that gets close is asking for a butting!

·
(formerly Laura Jensen)
2,479 Posts
I'm not big on wethers either unless they're just for pets. I wouldn't keep a wether with my does. When I did have one, he wound up driving my fine milking does out into the rain and doing nothing but scarf food all day long. He also drove my does away from the food. Several times, I found him asleep with his head in the alfalfa pellets. :flame: Then he went to freezer camp, and I was much happier. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh I know it's normal goat stuff, it's just really hard to watch. I think it's gotten a little better. She actually was allowed to run and hop about a bit this weekend without harrassment. She's such a sweetie pie and is in LOVE with my husband. Screams like a banshee when he leaves.
My boys are pets and for brush clearing. They are trouble but I like them and they are fun to watch. SOOO silly. We are working on some basic manners and they seem to be getting the hang of things. I needed to ease into this goat thing and figured they were the way to go.
Thanks
MB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.