New doeling has a hernia! Help! Advice please!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

:help: One of our new doelings has a hernia! I feel so dumb. I am such a newbie. I just looked at her and fell in love and took her home. She is an Alpine/Nigerian cross and has the sweetest personality. Is this expensive to have repaired? My dh thinks I should call the lady I bought her from and bring her back. But I really, really like her already...if it is not difficult to repair and won't affect her future ability to bear young I would like to keep her.
    Pkease advise me, experience goat keepers!
    Thank you, Jill

2. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

Haven't had qny experience with goat babies but in foals if its an umbilical hernia it will usually resolve in a few weeks, if not by 6 months the vet can fix it surgically pretty easily. Of course depends also on how big it is, is there a chance of bowel loop strangulation, etc.?
    Good Luck!

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to either of these questions. It seems to be in the area where an umbilical cord would be---right in the middle of her belly an inch or so in front of her udder. You don't always feel it. When you do, it is a soft bulge---most prominent after a bottle feeding.
    She runs, jumps, plays, head butts like normal. The little critter is as fast as my 14 yo son, which is saying a lot! I really, really like her.
    I will call the vet later today, after I get a few more replies on this forum. My large animal vet does not seem to be super knowledgeable about goats. She likes them, though...if that helps.
    If there is anybody who has had this problem, please respond to this post!
    Thank you! Jill
    PS She is about 5 weeks old---should it have resolved itself by this age if it were going to?

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

A walnut size protrusion is not uncommon in my herd for up to 6 months....so long as she is eating well and getting around and frolicking I wouldn't be concerned.....IMO its the difference between and "inny" or an "outy" in people.
    Keep checking it...if it grows, discolors or bleeds or the doe seems ill then have it checked.

Mine sometimes still have a little cord left at 5 weeks.....

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Just wanted to say that I hope that your little girl gets better and gets to stay with you, it should get better soon.

6. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I had a newborn buckling that had a herinated imbilical cord. We didn't notice it until the second day after he was born. We took him to the vet and he cleaned it up and sewed it up for $45. We were lucky that all his "other parts" were working properly (when this happens they sometimes will pee through their naval). I haven't had any experience with a herinated goat other than this one, but I have an 11 year old chow that has a herinated belly button and the vet said not to worry about it and she's been fine all these years.