Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New efficiency requirements, more complications, more money. If you need a water heater, get one now. By April, the new regs go into effect and you know what happens when the government gets its hand involved in appliances (low flow toilets, washing machines, dish washers and so on.)

http://contractormag.com/residentia...andards-residential-water-heaters-are-horizon

Plenty of articles about this, google "new water heater regulations".

For one thing, the new water heaters are going to have to be built bigger, due to more insulation, and may not fit where the old one did. This is in addition to a hefty price increase and the necessity of both a plumber and an electrician to install the new ones.

Evidently, this has been in the works for quite a while. I just found out about it by reading a post on another forum, and it took me by surprise.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
YEP! We plan on installing one before then. Ours is 20 years old & needs replaced. We also need to get a water softener as our water is very hard.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just replaced my water heater and moved it into the restroom. It ain't pretty but I don't care. It will be SOO much more efficient up here rather than in the basement.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
If people would wrap the water heater with a insulated blanket they could save lots of bucks without having the government do it for them. But nope they would rather wait till the nanny government MAKES the water heater companies add more insulation themselves.
Between 20 and 35 bucks you could be doing the same thing, I have done this for the last 40 Years~! Back then I just wrapped batting around the water heater till they came out with this:

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
necessity of both a plumber and an electrician to install the new ones.
Water heaters are not difficult to replace, electric are simple enough any 14-15 year old should be able to handle it.
Shut off water supply
Flip breaker to off
Drain tank
Disconnect wires from water heater
Disconnect plumbing
Remove unit and put in new unit
Hook everything back up
Open valves and turn supply back on
Once tank is full and air is evacuated from lines, shut off valves and turn breaker to on
20-30 minutes

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is another article that goes into a little more detail.

http://www.plumbingperspective.com/...015-energy-efficiency-rules-on-water-heaters/

Gas water heaters require electric service to run the electronic ignition which is replacing the old style pilot light. Plus, the new regs call for condensate pumps.

Everything simple that has worked for so long must be made more complicated, expensive, and less functional.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here is another article that goes into a little more detail.

http://www.plumbingperspective.com/...015-energy-efficiency-rules-on-water-heaters/

Gas water heaters require electric service to run the electronic ignition which is replacing the old style pilot light. Plus, the new regs call for condensate pumps.

Everything simple that has worked for so long must be made more complicated, expensive, and less functional.
I used to have a spiffy new propane stove like that. Couldn't use the oven when the power was out. Now, I have a spiffy "vintage" propane stove that uses a pilot light. The oven temp doesn't regulate worth a darn, but at least it will cook.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I used to have a spiffy new propane stove like that. Couldn't use the oven when the power was out. Now, I have a spiffy "vintage" propane stove that uses a pilot light. The oven temp doesn't regulate worth a darn, but at least it will cook.
I am planning on getting an older lp cookstove for that exact reason, power outages can be common out here in winter, no baking when power is out.

·
Voice of Reason
52,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Wow, Nevada, that's not a bad price at all! I need something for my cabin, I had been thinking of a camper/trailer hot water heater-that one you showed is the cat's meow!

·
Voice of Reason
52,221 Posts
Wow, Nevada, that's not a bad price at all! I need something for my cabin, I had been thinking of a camper/trailer hot water heater-that one you showed is the cat's meow!
My model requires 120v power to operate, which is called a modulated tankless heater. That's preferred if you have power available, since it's a forced draft burner and can throttle water flow to maintain temperature.

If you don't have power you'll want a non-modulated heater. That only requires gas (propane or natural gas) and two flashlight batteries for ignition. Here's an example of a non-modulated propane heater.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12L-3-2-GPM...118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233a039eae

As you can see, price is about the same.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Water heaters are not difficult to replace, electric are simple enough any 14-15 year old should be able to handle it.
Shut off water supply
Flip breaker to off
Drain tank
Disconnect wires from water heater
Disconnect plumbing
Remove unit and put in new unit
Hook everything back up
Open valves and turn supply back on
Once tank is full and air is evacuated from lines, shut off valves and turn breaker to on
20-30 minutes
Next time mine goes i'm calling you :buds: My typical plumbing job consists of hunting tools one hour drain hose half hour break pipe trip to plumbing store two hours . Hose leaked on floor half hour mop time .looking for new wire nuts another half hour .Yep I never saw a 30 minute job I couldn't stretch out two days :thumb:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I just replaced a tankless for a tank for friend.

They had been out of hot water for over a week and after numerous parts and repair calls, still didn't work so to a tank they went.

·
just me
1,770 Posts
Thanks Nevada

1 - 19 of 19 Posts