New doe not eating

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Cygnet, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

I picked up a bred nigerian doe for a great price -- beautiful doe, obviously well taken care of, about three months along. Looks great, no flaws at all I can identify. Tested herd, etc.

She's completely panicking about being apart from her herd, and I didn't want any of the other does -- I plan to milk her, and the rest of the girls in the herd were either wild as can be, or were too small (we're talking under 18" -- she's about 22") to be worth the work. So I only got her.

I've got other goats -- a bunch of large wethers. Pack goats. So she can see other goats, and since I can't seem to keep her in my quarantine pen -- which will contain a 200 alpine wether but apparently isn't sufficient to keep in a very pregnant 50 pound nigie of which at least 20 pounds is belly -- she's sharing a fenceline with my goats.

She won't eat. I feed pellets, but she's also turning her nose up at grass, brush, grain, etc. I'm going to get a bale of alfalfa to try her on ... can't get anything else out here worth feeding ... but how worried should I be? Her temp's normal, she's bright eyed and active, not acting "sick" just acting "homesick."

She's upset enough that I'm worried about her losing the babies. If she does, how dangerous is this for the doe? If she's okay, I'll just rebreed her later, but she's a sweetie and I'd have to look long and hard to find a doe like this for the price I paid. :(

Leva

2. glenberryfarm

glenberryfarm Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just went through this with a Nubian I brought home. She was so homesick and would not eat. She wasn't pregnant, but she was in milk. I gave her a good shot of Vit B complex and plenty of Probias. Sunflowers seemed to really turn her on. It took about a week, but she came around. I spent as much time with her as I could-grooming and talking. Hang in there
    Faye

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My new little buck...we got him Sat. is also having a rough go of it. He is 3 months and smaller than the rest of the herd and needy as can be. He is eating a little but very stressed and squawking. Nubian squawk box. I gave him probios Selenium E and a good dose of DE yesterday on a piece of bread. Hopefully he will settle down...and get used to eating more hay and less grain as I done grain my dry does and bucks very much and I think he was getting alot of grain because he was a bit pudgy! My first goat with horns too! But so far so good, he was bottle fed.

4. babecwgirl

babecwgirl Member

she is pouting and home sick..i bought a doe ,did same thing. like others said sweet talk her and give probias that is some good stuff.. i also gave vitamin pellets. i put some in her mouth and made sure she ate them and she chewed gladly when i put them in her mouth ..i was worried like u because of pregnancy,, but as to say mom and now baby too are fine she came around in couple of days 2 days..i kept her also where she could see other goats..good luck
    Linda