Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here travel their girls to be bred?

I have been unable to buy a billy this year for various reasons so now I am left with three options.

To borrow a possibly substandard billy just to get them in kid and then expect to be eating the kids when they arrive.

Or to load my two girls (one of which is already milking as she has come in as a maiden) on the boat and ship them to the billy then ship them back when they are in kid. Somehow I don't feel very comfortable doing this.

The third option is that I am buying another girl in the Autumn and she will be coming in kid to a billy that none of them will have any relationship to. I could leave my girls and hope for at least one male kid. Trouble with this is that my girls would then be approaching their 3rd birthday on their first kidding - I had them to have milk :Bawling:

Or does anyone have any experience with AI in goats?

Getting desperate now - can't believe I haven't been able to buy a billy :(

hoggie

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use AI and live cover. AI is great for when you want to introduce new bloodlines or there are no quality bucks where you live. I know your island has very few goats- but maybe a horse person has a semen tank you could rent space in?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
What state are you in? Have you contacted your state/region dairy goat club? Another good resource is the Yahoo groups for the breeds & districts.You could put up a wanted ad on one of those lists.

The cost of AI equipment, semen, and a class to learn how to use it all will cost more than a decent buck. I don't know if I would bother for three does.

I have leased quality bucks, travelled 4 hours round trip with does in heat, and left doelings at another breeder's for six weeks. Having a buck on the premises is by far the easiest way!

If you can lease or borrow a good buck from another breeder, that's probably the way to go. This also varies a lot by region. Here in MN, there is a lot of swapping, leasing & borrowing of bucks. In other areas, I'm told, bucks are never lent or leased.

BTW, you might want to use the terms "buck" & "doe" when talking to these breeders about leasing.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL - yes even in the UK they have goats BUT......... for many purposes we are no tpart of the UK, we are an island offshore and in agricultural terms we are a seperate, disease free, zone. This means that it is very difficult to import animals into the islands. The island I live on has only 5 goats - my 2, and a friend has 2 nannies and a wether. That is why I wanted to buy a billy.

I was going to buy a billy kid from our nearest neighbour island (also part of the same disease free zone) so that we could have a billy on the island. I have had feelers out since the spring amongst the goat club in the other island to get me a kid. There have been no breeding quality, male kids, that are not related to either one or the other of my goats, that had not been already castrated by the time the word went round :Bawling:

So no billy for me to buy this year :( hence the other options.

hornless - I think the dairy farm has AI facilities. I may have a word with them this week and see where I can get to.

hoggie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts