Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many on here have birds for pets, but we had two tiels. One died unexpectedly and now we have just our one. Well we had ordered a large cage for the two right before the other died...these are DD birds and she was sad that the other wouldn't be here to see it.

It came today and we got it all set up. They went from an 18x18x24 cage to a 32x23x47" cage! It stands 61" tall with the cabinet and all. We just love it and we have all new stuff coming for it. Perches, toys, ladders, swings, etc! I can't wait to really get it set up.

The old cage:

Our boy Cricket

The new one being presented by Vanna White, LOL!

Checking the bars

Watching my camera:

·
Karaoke Queen
964 Posts
That is a beautiful cage, though usually used for bigger birds. How is Cricket dealing with the loss? You may want to consider getting another for companionship, or devoting some extra one-on-one time with Cricket. People always say pets don't feel loss, but believe me, they sure do!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oh Cricket is so sweet! My first pet was a tiel, and one led to two which led to four.... They are very social and love a companion, you have this big home for them.... sounds like another will make the set up complete!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I love cockateils. We had one that died recently, also. Wow! Love the cage. Does he know what to do with all the room?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zookeeper, the cage itself has a bar size spacing of 5/8" so it's just right for some tiels. I was very studious in finding the perfect cage for me and them and still making sure it was safe. I would actually love to buy another one if I end up with a larger (yet 'smaller') sized parrot. It's actually a larger cage than this one, with larger bar size and spacing for parrots. They always recommend buying the largest cage you can afford appropriate for the bird...I just didn't want to be upgrading again for them when I could just save for the big one I wanted and be done, LOL...well for now. Anyone that has birds, now how that is. They're like eating chocolate candy, you can't just have one, LOL!

Thanks for the compliments. He actually is getting some new friends soon. I have been searching for a breeder (we don't have rescue groups where I live for birds) and I've found one that is near me and has several hand-fed babies to pick from once weaned! I can't wait!

·
Country Girl
4,306 Posts
I found an old parrot cage at a barn sale for $50 a few years ago. It is about 6 ft tall, round with a diameter of 2 feet. Really heavy black iron. The bars are probaby farther apart than they should be but my cockatiel LOVES it! He is 25 years old now!!!! The lady I got it from had a parrot in it for 30 years but then she got a cold and the parrot got it too and died. :( So it sat in the barn for some many years....

·
Karaoke Queen
964 Posts
Cashs - I didn't mean to say that the cage was too big! In fact, it's awesome! You were right in getting the biggest you can afford for the bird - they LOVE the room to move around. I hope you are able to find a new companion for your little guy! Baby birds are the best!

I miss having birds.....

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew you weren't :D, I was just remarking on it for others in case they were wondering. Sorry, LOL!

I hate wasting money on a cage when I know I'll probably upgrade within the year, so I just saved up a bit more and bought the one we really wanted, ;)

He is having a blast on it. He's been all over inside and out, top to bottom.

Here he is relaxing in the breeder door. We leave it open so he can come and go without the bigger doors being opened up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts