New diesel question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cowboyracer43, Sep 10, 2006.

1. cowboyracer43

cowboyracer43 Well-Known Member

In 1998 I bought my "last new car," a '98 VW "new beetle" diesel TDI. Throughout its first 250000 miles I delighted in its speed and efficiency. I was pleased with 46-50 mpg and its occasional 700 miles on a tank of fuel. In the last month, I have noticed a drop in mpg and thought "it must be the wind" or "I need a tuneup." Yesterday I drove to NE Colo to watch DD play in a volleyball tournament. I needed to fuel up before I had driven even 500 miles. I have been seeing notices on diesel pumps about a low sulfur diesel reformulation. I have also learned that VW will not be making a 2007 (American bound) diesel because of the reformulated low sulfur diesel gas required in the US. The "no 2007 VW" policy is merely a "suspension" while VW re-designs its engine to make it compatible with US fuels. My question: Is my 20% decrease in mileage attributable to the reformulated low sulfur diesel fuel? Can the old diesel still be obtained for "the old" diesel vehicles? Finally was I premature in buying my "last new car?"

2. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

No, old diesel can not be purchased. However, you can use the new diesel in old vehicles.

3. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

Where did you get this 20% figure?

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

5. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

You more than likely have a clogged intake manifold ... the egr valve on the vw diesels can pass enough oil fog to clog the intake in some conditions ( primarily if you really are easy on the accelerator )...

Try www.tdiclub.com for more info, I don't think the fuel has anything to do with it.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

hey new people try putting your question in the right forum this belongs in shop talk

7. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

Hubby's guess would be dirty fuel and/or air filter. You may have two fuel filters, so make sure to change both. Also, has it started smoking more - indicates a dirty injector.

He said it's very unlikely it has anything do to with the new fuel.

Cathy

8. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

As I reread your post I understand now... no, it is not the new fuel. There is almost no difference in fuel mileage, only cost. There is something else going on with your car.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............................The current low sulphur diesel is just an intermediate step which will go even lower down to 15ppm beginning on Jan.1 , '07 .
    This "new" fuel has LESS energy per combustion cycle than the old 500 ppm we are currently using . It can't help but result in Lower fuel milage but the refiners are supposed to be adding additional "lubricity" agents to compensate for the reduction in sulphur . Both diesel locomotives and jet engines will be exempted from the lower standards and will continue to beable to pollute the atmosphere bless their little hearts . Can't have the Big birds with the Brass Ass' falling out of the Sky now can we !!! fordy... :rolleyes:

10. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

12. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

The mileage on our VW TDI went way down (to about 35 mpg) recently, and we found the fuel filter was leaking. Put a new one on and mileage went right back up, so you might want to check that out.
    Dawn