New Dexter Bull Calf born yesterday...woohoo

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by twstanley, Jul 15, 2005.

1. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

2. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new bull calf! Dexters are the breed I'd like to have, but I just don't have the fences and the bucks and the time to spare right now! How are prices in your neck of the woods? How many do you have? Any pregnancy complications?

3. twstanley

twstanley Well-Known Member

We have 6 now, one bull, two cows, two yearling heifers and the new bull calf. Prices around here are around $500 for a registered bull calf, 600 - 1000 for a registered heifer and 1000 - 1900 ( 1900 I have seen asked but I wouldn't consider paying that much ) for a registered cow. Our bull is registered but the cows and heifers aren't, the cows weren't registered when
    we bought them for whatever reason, we are the 3rd owner of them haha.

This was our 3rd calf, and we have been lucky in having no pregnancy complications at all. I got home from work about 5 and glanced at the cattle and all was normal, when I went out to feed around 7 the cow I knew was getting close but I didn't think was quite ready had had her calf. We give them some range cubes and a mineral block and they have 9 acres of pasture here, they seem to do real well, nice shiny coats and hooves, the cow that had the calf will take treats out of my hand ( or mouth, its pretty comical, I have to be careful not to get a slimy cow kiss when she does it ).

Last year this cow gave birth between 8 am when I walked out to check on them and 815 am when I was leaving to go to work. They really seem to be an easy birthing breed, of course they haven't been bred for size which is what I think causes other breeds to have more difficulty.