Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new goat owner and need advice. One of my Nubian dams kidded her first litter this morning. The babies are fine. We milkied out the colostrum from one teat, but the right side teat is full but not giving much milk down to the teat.

Needless to say, I'm concerned about mastitiis on that side. The kids are trying to nurse on that teat. Should I rush her to the vet tomorrow, or let the kids work on her teat for a day or so to see if the flow improves?

If it doesn't improve, what are some home remedies to try before taking her to the vet. I'm not opposed to a vet call, but would like to at least try another alternative first.

thanks

Virginia

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
if it is "full" you will be able to milk out quite a bit. just becasue it is large doesn't mean it is full of milk. how hard is it? "milk full" is a little squishy and pliable. if it feels like muscle, meaning it is rather hard and you can't get much milk out than it is probably congested not full. generall reccomendations for a congested udder are massage and use of a menthol rub as well as additional vit c. I dump part of one of those "emergen-c" immune supplements on the feed. leaving the kids on is good as they will continue to nurse and bump the udder which is good. the few congested udders I have encountered cleared up with the emergen-c supplements and the kids nursing. if it hasn't cleared up after a week or if the kids are acting like they are not getting enough you may have to supplement or bottle feed one or all of them. has she been tested for CAE? hard udder syndrome is associated with that.

you stated that you milked out the colsotrum. did the kids get it? are you already bottle feeding? if so than you will have to do all the massaging and bumping and milking out that those kids would otherwise do.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
It sounds like you're getting milk out of the right side if I'm reading this correctly. If the problem is mastitis, the colostrum would look different on that side, such as bloody or lumpy. Is the oriface smaller on that side? Are you sure the plug is entirely out of that side? If the problem is the oriface, you can insert a teat dialator which you should be able to get from your vet or a feed store. You insert it in the teat while the doe is on the milk stand and leave it in for a few minutes. Sometimes does, especially first fresheners, freshen with edema in one or both halves of the udder. That is treated by massaging the udder. I like to massage in some peppermint oil. I also make sure the babies are getting enough to eat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts