Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Not sure whether to put this in camelids or goats!
I am very excited to be a new llama owner, as of about a week ago. Then the day before yesterday I had the surprise of a lifetime when I walked out to her pen and discovered she had just given birth to a cria! I had no idea she was bred, and the young man I bought her from had only had her about 9 months and was not aware of that fact either!
I'm so thrilled to have a little one, and she is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. However, I got a llama to be a guard for the yearling goats I'm supposed to be getting this coming week. Do you think having a new baby will make her even more motherly in adopting the young goats? Or do you think she will be defensive of the cria and not interested in bonding with the goats?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
She may well not bond with the goats per d65e but will not allow a predator anywhere near, so your problem should be solved regardless.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. I was wondering about letting the cria get a little older before putting them in together so she could hold her own more, if the goats got a little rambunctious!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am very excited to be a new llama owner, as of about a week ago. Then the day before yesterday I had the surprise of a lifetime when I walked out to her pen and discovered she had just given birth to a cria! I had no idea she was bred, and the young man I bought her from had only had her about 9 months and was not aware of that fact either!
I'm so thrilled to have a little one, and she is about the cutest thing I've ever seen. However, I got a llama to be a guard for the yearling goats I'm supposed to be getting this coming week. Do you think having a new baby will make her even more motherly in adopting the young goats? Or do you think she will be defensive of the cria and not interested in bonding with the goats?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Laura_mt
Unless mama is nervous about the goats I would not remove her from your goat herd. You would only have to reintroduce them later.
Mama will watch and protect her baby if the goats get to rowdy and raising her baby with the goat herd will only bond them more.
My only concern would be if your goats have horns, as a rule of thumb we never house horned animals with unhorned animals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thank you for your input! I actually just picked up the goats and am about to introduce them this morning! We'll see how it goes... :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts