new cow

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by homeschoolmama, Jun 5, 2005.

1. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Well-Known Member

HI, I am new to this forum. I just bought Jersey cow yesterday. She is 2 1/2 yrs and has never had a calf. She has been out in a field with othr Jerseys and has not had alot of handling if any. She is not so skittish that she won't let you come near her, but she wont' let you touch her. What is the best way to train this cow so that one day she can be milked? Are cows similar to horses in the way they react to people before they are broken? Thanks :)

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

There are as many methods and ideas as there are people who are breaking cattle, but a good way to start is to gently "capture" your heifer. Coax her into a small paddock and spend some time with her for a day or two. Coax her into a even smaller area and spend some more time with her. Make sure all of her food and water comes from you: buckets of grain, bales of hay, buckets of water all must come from you and she must see it happening. Hand hold her grain bucket and stand by her water to get her close to you, and used to you being close.

When you can touch her put a halter on her, but don't try to hold her or force her. Just go slow and be patient. I put halters on my "wild" Milking Devon heifers while my wife holds the grain bucket. They're so involved with the grain that they don't even notice me.

After your heifer has had a day or two in the halter, snap her off to something solid in the shade. She will fight the halter but won't see you as the villian. Keep bringing her her food and water as before. She will soon let you touch her without fear IF you haven't frightened her or tried to muscle her into a situation she finds uncomfortable.

At 2 1/2 years old she's a big girl, you be careful, a frightened cow will fight. Just don't get her into a corner unless it's her idea and then leave her enough room to get out, or give yourself enough room to get out of her way.

In couple of weeks she'll be following you around like a big puppy.

3. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. I will follow your advice. It make alot of sense. Gina

4. AR Transplant

AR Transplant Well-Known Member

I rarely post but I have to weigh in on this one also.
    I have a 12 month old jersey calf that was pretty wild. Her mama had died in January.(see the jersey post above ths one).

My husband and I spent a month working on her. Keeping her confined in a large paddock. She got so we could pet her while she was eating. Her horns were getting pretty sharp so we took her to the vet last week and had them removed. (simple procedure, he gave her a shot of morphine and then packed them with medicine and anti fly stuff). After that we put her in a stall because she was still woosey. For several days we messed with her and held her halter in the stall. Then we led her behind the fourwheeler for a while. I took her with me when I gardened, and my neighbor took her with him when he fixed the fences and stuff like that.
    Today she is as gentle as a puppy. She will go anywhere with me and runs to the fence when I come outside. It is really amazing, it really works.

Thanks
    Arkansas Transplant