Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Certified Animallover!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought a cow. She is a holstein. I do not know her age but she has calved b4. She is way over skinny and the guy I got her from has no clue when she is due. She is very swollen and she is starting to bag up and her milk is now yellow.

since friday night everytime she lays down her vagina is very open and there are yellow strands inside. . Is this normal..is there something wrong with Clippy?

What are signs of impending labor? I have never had a cow b4 so ths is all new. any tips or advice will be well recieved.

thanks in advance
~`*Mandie*`~

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Sounds like she will calve soon, or possible she did last night?
A cow will generally go off by itself, and find what it percieves to be a sheltered hideaway - such as in tall grass, behind a clump of trees, or behind a windbreak or wall - depending on what her options are. If she starts circling, getting up and down alot(trying different spots to decide which is "just right") she is making her bed and preparing to calve.
The parted stage you describe is normal, can start as much as 30 or as little as 1 hour before calving.
Watch her and look for two feet and a nose to protrude once she goes into labor.Do NOT attach chains or ropes to calf and start pulling unless you are certain you have either A.) Two front feet and a nose, or B.) Two rear feet if Breech.
Of course, don't pull at all if cow is delivering on her own naturally.
Once calf is out, clear it's mouth and nose of any birthing fluids immediately, gently drag calf around to front of cow and let momma cow lick her clean. once cow is satisfied calf is clean and dry, she will bunt it about and get it to stand up and start nursing. This process may take 2 hours. Don't try to rush Mother nature. Cow will always clean calf off first, then she will feed it.
Good Luck.

·
Certified Animallover!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Up North said:
Sounds like she will calve soon, or possible she did last night?
A cow will generally go off by itself, and find what it percieves to be a sheltered hideaway - such as in tall grass, behind a clump of trees, or behind a windbreak or wall - depending on what her options are. If she starts circling, getting up and down alot(trying different spots to decide which is "just right") she is making her bed and preparing to calve.
The parted stage you describe is normal, can start as much as 30 or as little as 1 hour before calving.
Watch her and look for two feet and a nose to protrude once she goes into labor.Do NOT attach chains or ropes to calf and start pulling unless you are certain you have either A.) Two front feet and a nose, or B.) Two rear feet if Breech.
Of course, don't pull at all if cow is delivering on her own naturally.
Once calf is out, clear it's mouth and nose of any birthing fluids immediately, gently drag calf around to front of cow and let momma cow lick her clean. once cow is satisfied calf is clean and dry, she will bunt it about and get it to stand up and start nursing. This process may take 2 hours. Don't try to rush Mother nature. Cow will always clean calf off first, then she will feed it.
Good Luck.
thank you she has been "open" since late friday night. Nothing this morning I will go and check on her again though .I will let you know. *thank you so much*

·
Registered
604 Posts
Once you see the hooves make sure they are front hooves. Then you will see the nose, from this point don't let her go more than 1 hour without progress. If she goes more than 1 hour after the hooves present then you need to help pull the calf out.

·
KS dairy farmers
3,841 Posts
Be patient. Watch from a distance. She will delay laying down to calve if there are distractions - people, dogs, noises about. They like their privacy to some extent. It's an instinctual thing - rarely will a cow drop her calf if there is a dog within sight of her.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Ginger was two hours into labor with her 4th calf with nothing presenting last year, and I knew this wasn't as it should be. I got the vet out by the third hour, and he found that the water bag hadn't broken because the calf's front legs were up under his chest...their noses won't break her water... so he went in, broke her water, pulled the legs forward, attached chains, and waited for her to start pushing again. It worked!!! and we're now eating a most delicious steer from that scarey day!!!

So, if she's into hard labor with nothing to show for it in a coupla hours, get someone who can help her FAST!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Where are you in Missouri? North, South, East, or West?? You mentioned that she is bagged up, and her milk is yellow. Are you milking her? We would love to help is we can, just hang in there and give a little more info.

Good Luck and we will help if we can.

Cindy

·
woolgathering
2,601 Posts
is she straining, walking backwards, have a large bubble of fluid hanging out?

if front feet present and nothing happens you might want to check head position, we had one that was nose up (caught on pelvic bone)and didnt catch it in time

·
Certified Animallover!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jerzeygurl said:
is she straining, walking backwards, have a large bubble of fluid hanging out?

if front feet present and nothing happens you might want to check head position, we had one that was nose up (caught on pelvic bone)and didnt catch it in time

Ok everyone I will try to answer your questions accordingly

she started straining and moaning this afternoon but so far no bubble of water. (or walking backwards)

smpooh.. we live in south central Mo. We are not milking her she is dripping :)

But the person I got her from just stopped milking her about 2 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
That sounds like labour to me. Where in south central Missouri?? Thats where I am and I sure would help if needed.
She is straining with nothing coming out??

·
Certified Animallover!
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ozark_jewels said:
That sounds like labour to me. Where in south central Missouri?? Thats where I am and I sure would help if needed.
She is straining with nothing coming out??

ozark jewels I dont live far from you and I am friends with ppl who know you. :)

I think its just a response to contractions.(it is very spread apart) We are watching her very closly. she has not dialated yet. I have pulled both sheep and goats ..this is my first cow. I will keep you all posted. and IfI come to a problem I will pm you ozark jewels.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Hey Mandie!

Did you ever get this calf born? Just curious... Wendy

p.s. sorry to hear about your sheep.

·
Registered
300 Posts
gone-a-milkin said:
Hey Mandie!

Did you ever get this calf born? Just curious... Wendy

p.s. sorry to hear about your sheep.

This is Mandys mom

she hasnt been on much and she wanted to let you all know that yes she calfed a lil heifer the following thursday july 26. the straining and uneasyness was b/c the claf was suddenly kicking more. I have a new thread going b/c the calf is scouring. (her mom is raising her)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts