New Countryside Magazine is here

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cowgirlone, Aug 9, 2004.

1. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Just got my September/October Countryside magazine. Tango has a great article on her razorback pigs. Saw Ken's "how to" on horse shoe hangers. I finally sent in a small one about my freshwater shrimp.
    Anyone else? I haven't read through the whole thing yet. :)

2. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, isn't the magazine wonderful this month?

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Just came today, haven't had time to more than 'once over' it. Looks great!

I was looking at one of the inserts. Outdoorsman's Edge Book Club. It doesn't say how much 'shipping and handling' is. I don't like to order anything without all the facts. Anybody have any idea?

4. cowgirlone

Cyngbaeld, I saw that insert too. I think you buy 4 books for a dollar if you become a member. Then they send more books to you each month and you decide whether you want to keep them or not.
    I couldn't find a shipping amount either. I'm not much help! :eek:

Ana, I can't wait to sit down with the magazine tonight. :)

5. Cyngbaeld

Found a web site and checked. Here's what they said:

"What are the total costs for my introductory books?

For your introductory package, the shipping and handling charges will be $5.49 for the first item, and $2.19 for each additional item. If you enrolled with a credit card and opted for express delivery you will incur an additional $5.00 express shipping charge. Counts as two selections will be billed as two separate books. State sales tax will be added if you live in NY, PA, and IN."

6. Sandhills

Sandhills Well-Known Member

I'm bummed, :waa: mine hasn't come yet. I guess that's what I get for living in such a rural area. :)

7. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

I think they must do more than 1 mailing... I'm usually one of the last to get a mag... Oh well, at least I get one, right?? hehe

8. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Mine not here either.......

9. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Hasn't made it to the Shenandoah Valley yet either. As far as those 'Book of the Month' clubs go, I try to avoid them as their monthly selections tend to be a bit on the lame side. They will try to bill you for books that you send back. Whever somebody is offering something for nothing, there is allways a catch.

10. Cyngbaeld

You're right there! Decided I didn't want any selections I didn't select showing up here!

Cowgirlone and Tango, great articles!!!! Sure want to try the shrimp growing. But I'm going to leave the bigger critters to someone a little more physically able than I. Maybe I could swap some chicken for some pork one day?

11. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine hasn't come yet either :( For some reason it takes longer to get to MI from WI than to some of you people living further away. Hopefully it will be in the mailbox this afternoon.

12. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Oh well at least everytime I see you all say its arrived, I know I have at least 2-3 days for mine.....but its a long wait!
    Denise

13. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

I havent got mine yet either -- stank it all. I used to be a member of the outdoor edge book club -- DONT DO IT -- You have to pay for shipping weather you want the book or not, and everything is the same or more than you can buy it new at the book store.

14. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Mine arrived today. Nice articles everyone.

Mike

15. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Got mine too... guess what I'm gonna be doing tonight!

16. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Ours arrived today. We are in southeast AZ and our last name starts with S so don't know which they mail out first. Glad to know there are people on this forum who contribute articles. It was good to see Carla's picture in the magazine too.

17. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Outstanding article Cowgirlone. Nicely done.

18. cowgirlone

Thanks folks. :)
    I enjoyed the short article about the Countryside reunion. Wish I could have made it!

Edited to add, did you check out the onion recipes? I love onions! Can't wait to try them. :D

19. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Got mine! It came yesterday afternoon. So did dh's aunt from Oregon. When she walked in the house to visit with us my Countryside was on the kitchen counter (I was trying to read it and make dinner at the same time). She looked at the cover, picked it up, took it in the livingroom and spent the next hour reading it!

20. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

My Countryside generally comes in three - four days after my Backwoods Homes magazine. The first came in yesterday - means possibly by Friday . . . I can look forward to some good reading.

BTW, the editor for Backwoods Homes is good friends with the Berlangers. He and they both realized that instead of being competitors, the magazines actually complement each other and are often both subscribed to by subscribers, so both are good friends. At least, that is what he reported in his editors column.