new construction, parquet + waterproofing???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lacyj, Mar 7, 2004.

1. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Can someone advise us on vapor barrier?
    We're building, ourselves. Picked up Parquet flooring. The subfloor is T&G, w/primer paint. Foundation is 3' off dirt. There is no vapor barrier, where should it go? On the bare earth or between subfloor and parquet? What is best to use? This is in a bedroom that has entry to bathroom. bathroom will have tile floor.
    We're on a really tight budget for this whole project. Any advise is greatly appreciated...
    lacyj

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i'd put the vapor barrier between the subfloor and finish flooring. if the subfloor is fairly tight, ie few gaps, an impermeable (probably oil-based) paint could be effective. if there's gaps, u might caulk and then do the same. i dont know what kind of parquet u r using but if it's the kind that needs to be glued down, u can glue over paint; i've seen it done, and some adhesives actually recommend priming the substrate prior to application. if u don't like that idea, i suppose u could apply a vapor barrier on the exterior surface of the subfloor, but that'd mean a lot of crawling around under the floor. bothersome.

as for a vapor barrier on the ground, seems to me that wouldn't hurt, and it'd be cheap enough. it'd be desirable if u live in a moist environment. but u'd still have to contend with moisture escaping thru the floor and building up on top of the (now impervious) ground.

so in a sense u r really talking about two vapor barriers: one keeps moisture from seeping out of the ground and into the house, the other keep moisture from seeping out of the house and into the crawlspace. if the latter is well ventilated it should stay fairly dry. but if it was me i'd prolly just do what i suggested in the opening paragraph.

just my seat-of-the-pants way of looking at this.

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Put the vapor barrier on the ground and put some pea rock to hold it in place. If you put it between the layers the lower layer will rot away

mikell

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ditto what Mikell said.

5. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Something I found real nice with my parquet flooring, is to use a 3-4 coats of a basic polyeurothane over it. We stained our flooring first then used an outdoor poly coating because it's right at the front door entry and handles water/snow etc. But it holds up really well to lots of foot and paw traffic--makes it easier to clean also and has a nice shine to it.

6. Pops Black

Pops Black Member

Hi, lacyj

We built a home outside Standard (near Sonora) about 10 years ago. Hated to move from that house!

That area is so dry that unless you have a bad drainage problem I think you should forget the vapor barrier and install foil faced insulation in the joist bays instead. It will make that floor much warmer on your bare feet, and the parquet is pretty tight anyway.

Put the foil face toward the living area, use the heavy wire sold just for the purpose. It’s not fun but definitely worth the trouble.

Another thing you could think about is to run polypro lines under the sub floor for radiant heat – it is GREAT! You don’t need to hook it up now and it shouldn’t cost much for tubing and renting a stapler (use one just for that purpose). Do it before you insulate and let the tubes dangle until you can get it all hooked up.

Pops

7. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I always formed a slab with a 2 X6, With a 2 X 4 on top = 9-inches of concrete showing. Over the years when the flower beds are but in, and water washes against the slab carring sand, the slabs with only 3-inches of concrete showing end up getting carpets, and wood flooring wet. Then it doesn't matter what kind of vapor barrier you use, because it all comming up. Put the vapor barrier on the soil, under the concrete slab.

8. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Hey, Pops Black,
    We moved to Angels Camp about 10 years ago, we lived in Columbia State Park for 15 years, before that. Did you ever go to Columbia,for the music? Maybe we know each other...ha

Thanks everyone for responding, I have another question.
    How smooth is smooth for the sub-floor surface? It's T&G plywood and screw nails were used to attach it. They left dimples, do I have to fill them all in? What do I fill them with? I plan on doing some sanding and filling tomorrow.
    Any Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    lacyj

9. Pops Black

Pops Black Member

Oh yea lacyj, I’ve shelled a few peanuts at the St. Charles “Coffee House”. My wife’s family has lived on 300 acres a couple miles up Iron Mountain road since sometime around the revolutionary war.

On the floor, don’t worry about the nails as much as the joints between the sheets; you may need to float those with “Fixall” to get them smooth. The mastic you’ll use is pretty thick and will fill in the dimples. Be sure to get a trowel notched per the specs of the mastic.

So, what is your favorite Doo Doo Wah song?

Pops

10. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Doo Doo Wah, let's see: "we're all workin' for the Japanese", "Men's crisis center", they do a good job on "the beer song"..."since my baby turned gay" That's all I can remember, right now
    We've know Dave Kavenah(sp) for close to thirty years. Do you remember "Fiddle Stix"? Chris and Bob and Big Sarah?Sarah is in Austin and comes back for Strawberry Blue Grass Festival, C & B still play music regularly.
    C & B go by Cactus Bob and Praire Flower.
    How 'bout "Blue Shoes", Peggy got married to Doug Johnson, (Fiddlin' Dick's, son) They're in the Fresno area.
    Did you ever listen to Possem Hollow? They were mostly, out of Murphys...Tom W. was in that band, he's a surfer bum in S. CA now, lives is his van...Tim B. is a carpenter.
    We used to work at the City Hotel. I look a bit like Chris, but can't sing, we've known them for 30 years, too..
    Where do you live now?
    lacyj

11. Pops Black

Pops Black Member

Great! I think “Barf construction” is my favorite:
    “… building codes – yuck, call Barf construction, we’ll throw it up!”

We were at the City for Christmas a year ago.

Wow, you know lots of great musicians. The only thing I can play is the radio. Do you know how Sarah is doing? We saw her at Strawberry a couple of years ago and she had been pretty sick. I think all my kids still have the shirts that Fiddle Stix autographed 16 or 17 years ago at either Strawberry or the fiddle and "bango" contest.

We had Blue Shoes at a company dinner for a business I used to work for and they were great. I was sorry they quit playing.

We’re back in the flatlands on an acre outside Modesto, but will be moving to (probably) northeastern Oklahoma in the summer. We have tickets for spring Strawberry though – that and the mountains are the two things I’ll miss about Ca. Of course we’ll be closer to Telluride! ;>)

Sorry for the drift!

Pops

12. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

The vapor barrier over the subfloor is just plain silly. Among other things, that would prevent a proper bond between the subfloor and the parquet. Put it under the crawl space where it belongs. Be sure to tape along all of the seams.

It's amazing how cheap that stuff is nowadays. My wife and I just bought 80 sq. ft. of parquet flooring for our kitchen and it cost us less than $80. You definitely want to finish with a coat of clear polyurethane or something similar, even though it says it's prefinished. Particularly for entyways, bathrooms and kitchens. Anywhere there is going to be some water on the floor from time to time. Parquet flooring can swell up and break like nobody's business if even a little dampness gets through the cracks. Putting vapor barrier directly underneath would not even begin to address that problem.

Those screw dimples won't be a problem. Presumably, you'll have a little floor leveller on hand anyway.

13. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly!!

14. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Thank All,
    Will do the one, in the dirt...
    lacyj