Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just couldn't help myself. I was on craigslist list and came across FREE chickens/rooster. So I clicked it to see if they had what they was and where they was located. Come to find out the lady only lives 5 minutes away from me so I just had to say yes I wanted them all. So Friday I ended up getting some new chickens and a rooster. They lady said she had 10 hens and 1 rooster. Well the lady I got them from didn't really know all what breed of chicken some of them are. On her post she said she had buff orpingtons, buckeye, barred rocks, white leghorn, blue andalusian, and a amber link rooster. Well she might have been right on some that she named but not all. I know their are 4 buff orpingtons, and 2 barred rocks but I'm not sure about the others. I believe the rooster is a americauna but I'm not to sure on that either. Also the lady said she only had 1 rooster and 10 hens. I see some of the hens have spurs. I do know that can happen but I have never seen it. I have 2 hens that have spurs but are they really hens or young roosters. So I need some help at identifying what they are rooster or hen and also what breeds do you think I have? I curious on what the blue one, the white one, and the brown looking ones are. Also what is the rooster? I can get better pictures of them later today if you want.

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
I see one easter egger rooster, 4 buff orps, 1 white leghorn, 2 barred rocks, 1 blue Wyandotte, and those brown ones might be partridge rocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some more pics of the ones that I'm unsure if they are hen or rooster. And also here are some pics of my rooster to figure out if his full ameracauna or not. The white one and brown one have spurs and the spurs are pretty long. I believe the pic of the buff is a hen but I'm not 100% so I took its pic to have people tell me what they think.

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
The rooster is not an Ameraucana, he's an easter egger, which is a mutt that carries the blue egg gene.

The others are hens. Some hens have spurs, especially older hens.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Free chickens, very nice, I agree on the breeds and genders. My ameraucanas all have funny muffs (beards) on their cheeks though... I wonder if the crossed chicks he produces will have colored eggs?
ours laid green eggs now they are blue...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts