2c sugar = 500g / 1lb 2oz sugar

·
Registered
300 Posts
Classic Switchel
1qt water = 1l / 1 2/3 UK pints water
1/2c cider vinegar = 110ml / 4floz cider vinegar
1 1/4c sugar = 310g / 11oz sugar
1/2c molasses = 180g / 6 1/2oz black treacle (again I would convert up to 1/3 of this into golden syrup to up the sweetness if desired).
3qt water = 3l / 5 UK pints water

·
Registered
300 Posts
Salting and Larding

Salted Down Corn
1/2c pickling salt = 125g / 4 1/2oz sea salt
1 gal water = 3 3/4l / 6 1/2 UK pints water

·
Registered
300 Posts
Larding

Duck Confit
Famously popular in France, especially in the Dordogne region, Duck confit is a popular dish at fancy restaurants, though it is really quite simple to make an is essentially in France a peasant dish, often served with Cassoulet, a bean stew.

You will need 2 ducks, of about 5lbs each. Remove the legs and breasts (save remaining bones and wings for brown duck stock. Leaving bones and skin attached, chop breasts into halves. With a cleaver, remove tips of drumsticks to use in stock. Sprinkle all over with 2tsp salt and 2tbs pepper (some people also like to crumble some thyme and bay leaves over it at this stage or use Herbes de Provence), and set aside at room temperature 45 minutes. Place the duck pieces in casserole dish and cover with 1 1/2kg / 3lbs rendered duck or pork fat (you may need more, the duck should be covered), 12 peeled, semi crushed cloves of garlic (I use a whole head) and 12 sprigs of fresh thyme. Bake at 250F / 130C for about 4 hours. When cooked the duck should be very tender. Leave to cool in the fat then refrigerate for 24 hours before eating. It will keep like this (provided the duck is kept covered) for up to four weeks. This recipe converts fabulously well to canning I am assured by a French friend who says in the Dordogne they make up supplies to last all winter and early spring.

To serve lift duck out of the fat and scrap off as much as possible, then warm in the oven. Serve with salad, or bean stew. It is nice to use the fat that is left over to make roast potatoes, fries and the like as it has FANTASTIC flavour.

·
Registered
300 Posts
OKey, I think I have converted the whole of this chapter so I will be meadering away now. I will stop by though occassionally to see if anything has cropped up I can help with.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Thanks Greg! :D I'm sure Carla realizes your valuable imput, I know I sure do. :worship: Keep up the great work the 10th ed. is going to be awesome :eek: :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hi Kelle and Greg! I really appreciate FL Kelle's valuable input too! :D It is so wonderful that there are only three recipes left to go and this chapter will be all tested, both 9th edition and 10th edition recipes. :cool: PLease refresh my memory about which three remain. Maybe I can recruit somebody to help out with those...
Gratefully,
Carla

·
Registered
747 Posts
Carla, i wanted to add this in here,i know its probobly been addressed, but i wanted to mention in case it gets missed,
on page 503, you mention thawing all meats in the fridge, which is correct, but then on page 581, you mention thawing out of the fridge, and give times for amounts of meat to thaw, this is unsafe, and i just wanted to make sure it gets changed for the 10th ed, i am sure its been adressed, but just wanted to bring it up , JIC

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
bethlaf said:
Carla, i wanted to add this in here,i know its probobly been addressed, but i wanted to mention in case it gets missed,
on page 503, you mention thawing all meats in the fridge, which is correct, but then on page 581, you mention thawing out of the fridge, and give times for amounts of meat to thaw, this is unsafe, and i just wanted to make sure it gets changed for the 10th ed, i am sure its been adressed, but just wanted to bring it up , JIC

Thank you for catching this, I don't know that it has been adressed. I do however thaw meat until it's easily worked with on the counter and have never had any problems. Maybe because it is still cold and contains ice crystals. I'm sure Carla will make note of this.

·
Registered
960 Posts
We have thawed meat out of the refrigerator, in it and in the microwave with no problems. We do have to hide it from the cats if it is on the counter.

161 - 176 of 176 Posts